What else is there to test? *Double Motherboard Failure*

Atsumi

Hello, everyone.

A week or so ago I replaced a motherboard on a computer for someone. While at my house, the computer functioned perfectly after the motherboard replacement. I even restarted it a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

When the person took the computer home it wouldn't come on, and there's a light blinking on the powersupply. This was the same problem he had before the motherboard was replaced.

Now, my question for you all. What could cause it to work when I had it, but stop working when he had it? I know it's a failed motherboard again, but we're still unaware of what's caused this one to go bad.

We tested the powesupply with a multimeter, and all of that checked out. But is there something else that could be the issue with that?

Also, both times he plugged the PC in with a power strip. Is there any reason a power strip could cause it?

gamerman4

Assuming you are in the U.S., make sure his power supply is set to 115V. If you take it back to your place, does the motherboard work or is it still broken?

gamerman4

I would replace the PSU. It may seem to work but something is obviously going wrong. I don't think a CPU or RAM can kill a mobo so the most likely suspect is the PSU. Next time you get a motherboard, only plug in the PSU (a new one, not that one) CPU, and RAM and see if it boots. Don't even plug in a graphics card, just see if the fans spin, then add th4 gfx card (assuming the comp has a dedicated card). Keep adding things 1 component at a time until you have it completely put together. If the computer continues to work, it was most definitely the old PSU.

Atsumi

I would replace the PSU. It may seem to work but something is obviously going wrong. I don't think a CPU or RAM can kill a mobo so the most likely suspect is the PSU. Next time you get a motherboard, only plug in the PSU (a new one, not that one) CPU, and RAM and see if it boots. Don't even plug in a graphics card, just see if the fans spin, then add th4 gfx card (assuming the comp has a dedicated card). Keep adding things 1 component at a time until you have it completely put together. If the computer continues to work, it was most definitely the old PSU.

Thank you for the information, gamerman. I've been suspecting there has been a problem with the PSU. Bestec ATX-250-12Z is what's in there, which is junk to begin with. What's a good replacement for it that isn't associated with eMachines?

gamerman4

My favorites are:
PC Power & Cooling
Antec
Corsair
Thermaltake

You also have to take in consideration if it will fit. Aftermarket PSUs are usually ATX or micro-ATX standard. Many pre-built PCs are not a standard size. You might want to check on the size specs of that eMachines. What model is it?

bomberboysk

My favorites are:
PC Power & Cooling
Antec
Corsair
Thermaltake

You also have to take in consideration if it will fit. Aftermarket PSUs are usually ATX or micro-ATX standard. Many pre-built PCs are not a standard size. You might want to check on the size specs of that eMachines. What model is it?

To add to the list, OCZ, Seasonic, FSP,Zalman, Tagan and Xclio Greatpower line, are also great power supplies.