What entry level DLSR?

ScOuT

VIP Member
Hey guys...looking at getting a nice camera:) There is no photographer in my village and I find myself taking pictures for people with my PowerShot A650IS all the time. You could say I am kinda inspired by the photographers here at CF also. I know I want a DLSR but nothing too fancy...just a nice entry level setup. I want at least 12 mega pixel. I have done some reading and have a few in mind.

Anybody have any experience with these? Do you know of a nice camera that gives me more for the money?

Sony A350K
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665345625

EOS Rebel XSi
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16307

My budget is around $1,000, thanks for the help:D

Irishwhistle

Out of those two I'd go with the Canon. If you spend $200 more you could get the Pentax K20D, which is a much nicer camera.

EDIT: Is the $1000 budget USD? I just remembered you're in Germany.

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Out of those two I'd go with the Canon. If you spend $200 more you could get the Pentax K20D, which is a much nicer camera.

EDIT: Is the $1000 budget USD? I just remembered you're in Germany.

Ya...$1,000 US dollars. I live in Germany but still have an American mailing address and buy all my stuff from the states.

I was kinda thinking the Canon also...I can get the camera and lens for about $750, add a custom equipment bag, extra battery and a few filters brings it up to about $1,000.

I am going to take a look at the Pentax K20D you suggested, thanks for the advise;)

ScOuT

VIP Member
Ya...the Pentax K20D is a nice camera, great reviews:) 14.6 mega pixels would be great. I am going to shop around and see if I can find it cheaper.

The only issue is it might bust budget a little. The house Commander (my wife) and I agreed to no more than $1,000.

I am trying to find something from RitzCamera.com, They have a military buying program that I can log onto and get 15% off everything in the store. To bad their computer hardware selection sucks :angry:

Irishwhistle

I am trying to find something from RitzCamera.com, They have a military buying program that I can log onto and get 15% off everything in the store. To bad their computer hardware selection sucks :angry:

Ah well! Cameras > Computers anyway.

Ben

VIP Member
Nikon(D80 since D90 is out of budget) or Pentax is what I suggest.

When you do find a camera and lens you like...I would also suggest checking out ebay auctions and whatnot (A lot better deals there).

cudenver

out of that canon is better, i think, b
but it wont make you take better pics
also check out the nikons

I own canon but have nothing against nikon

Ya...the Pentax K20D is a nice camera, great reviews:) 14.6 mega pixels would be great. I am going to shop around and see if I can find it cheaper.

The only issue is it might bust budget a little. The house Commander (my wife) and I agreed to no more than $1,000.

Oh god.....please dont say those words!! :eek:

I have really.......really.....really.....horrible.....words cant even explain.....experiences from that company......