What even is the point of Edge?

Edge sucks. Plain and simple. It did when it first came out, it still does in it's latest iteration. Approximately 3 percent of Windows users use Edge.... That's beyond pathetic. So why does Microsoft even bother having engineers work on Edge? It seems like a waste of time, effort, and money. Those engineers are better off working on other parts of the OS. During first boot (OOBE), allow the user to choose Chrome or Firefox as their browser.

Darren

Staff member
Where you getting that 3 percent figure from? I'd hazard a guess it's higher than that by a good margin. A lot of older people use it.

I actually kinda like it, it's easy for older people to use and pretty snappy. Obviously I wouldn't switch to it but its miles better than IE.

AlienMenace

Hey! Who are you calling older people here. lol. I'm 63 and I don't use it. Firefox has always been my main browser. Maybe the simple minded people that don't know their way around a computer, and refuse to learn beyond the On/Off button and get on Facebook. I know a few of these type of people. HA!

Darren

Staff member
Hey! Who are you calling older people here. lol. I'm 63 and I don't use it. Firefox has always been my main browser. Maybe the simple minded people that don't know their way around a computer, and refuse to learn beyond the On/Off button and get on Facebook. I know a few of these type of people. HA!
You just described 60 percent of my customer base. At least 60 percent, that's probably low.

Intel_man

VIP Member
When do you use Edge? When a certain website doesn't work properly on Chrome and Firefox and you use Edge to troubleshoot if it's a browser issue or a website issue.

When do you use Edge? When a certain website doesn't work properly on Chrome and Firefox and you use Edge to troubleshoot if it's a browser issue or a website issue.

There are other browsers I would use, LONG long before even considering Edge. Opera & Safari, for starters. I just do not trust Microsoft. I trust it even less, if that is possible, since the release of Windows 10.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Overall browser support for Opera & Safari is not as flushed as Microsoft Edge or the legacy Internet Explorer.

You being paranoid about Microsoft products is not a good reason to question the use of Edge for testing if your preferred browser is corrupt or the website is incompatible with them.

Overall browser support for Opera & Safari is not as flushed as Microsoft Edge or the legacy Internet Explorer.

You being paranoid about Microsoft products is not a good reason to question the use of Edge for testing if your preferred browser is corrupt or the website is incompatible with them.
Just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Where you getting that 3 percent figure from? I'd hazard a guess it's higher than that by a good margin. A lot of older people use it.

I actually kinda like it, it's easy for older people to use and pretty snappy. Obviously I wouldn't switch to it but its miles better than IE.
http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201801-201801-bar
https://www.netmarketshare.com/brow...8-01","dateEnd":"2018-01","segments":"-1000"}

From these charts IE still has more share than Edge, but I am not sure how much of that is bad agent detection.

Edge definitely is better than IE, but that bar is basically on the ground. Chrome and Firefox are so much better and, especially with Firefox, are still quite easy to use overall.

AlienMenace

I'm giving you all some lol grief. I had been at this computer stuff since 1988. Edge is a last ditch browser for me. Don't like chrome or opera. Never tried Safari.