What exactly is a Physx card and how does it work?

EEthanShire

Briefly explained on Asus.com, but would like a better understanding of it's capabilities and whether or not it's worth purchasing.

PC eye

banned
That is a more enhanced method of processing life like graphics in games. Only games using the Phyx SDK can see any benefits from this type of card now available. Sometimes it takes an encyclopedia to fully explain what the term applies to.
PhysX

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
PhysX can refer either to a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK developed by AGEIA (formerly known as the NovodeX SDK) or their PPU expansion card designed to accelerate that SDK.
Middleware physics engines allow game developers to avoid writing their own code to handle the complex physics interactions possible in modern games. Sony has licensed the PhysX SDK for their PlayStation 3 video game console.[1]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

thealmightyone

It's basically a very powerful math processor. Rather than the CPU calulate physics related work, it's shifted to the card. If you have an awful processor, then it's a good idea, but useless in the world of multicore CPU's.

Games have to support it to use it. I'm sure there's a list of games that support the card.

Geoff

VIP Member
It has potential, but as of now it's not worth it. I have one and there are only a few select games where it actually improves performance.

elitehacker

Its a complete waste of money and power to run it, it one of those techs that became obsolete pretty much immediate about its release, multi core CPUs do the same job and saves your hip pocket. What annoys me the most is that it is only supports in "some" games, a very few might I add, and it costs a fortune.
Definitely DO NOT purchase it. DO NOT touch it with a ten foot pole.

addle_brains

It would be a good idea though; a physics processing card. Maybe if there was a more generic application for a card like that, it would be worth it. As it stands, it's too specialized.

PC eye

banned
When deciding on any new type of card like the PCiI-E 2.0 models now available the rush into the latest thing out isn't always the smartest move. You have to look games overall not one or two just because they can take advantage of some new process seen. It's the old rush for the new "bells and whistles" only to get into some type of flop.

The_Beast

[-0MEGA-];805808 said:
It has potential, but as of now it's not worth it. I have one and there are only a few select games where it actually improves performance.

I think there are only 3 games that support it

I wouldn't buy one, it isn't worth it

PC eye

banned
I guess we're both in agreement on the list seen there. I had nothing but problems trying to get the original Rainbow Six game running. The high price could cover other costs on a new build if not upgrading the present one.

Speaking of what someone said earlier about multi core CPU's... It would be good if there was a program that allowed a core on a quad CPU to emulate a PhysX processor.... Hmm...Just a crazy idea...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Speaking of what someone said earlier about multi core CPU's... It would be good if there was a program that allowed a core on a quad CPU to emulate a PhysX processor.... Hmm...Just a crazy idea...

That would be up to the developers. They could realistically code their games to do such, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Geoff

VIP Member
That would be up to the developers. They could realistically code their games to do such, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ya, same thing with the PhysX card itself. The reason not many programs support it is because since the percentage of PhysX users are extremely small, and they dont want to waste time coding the game for it when not many people will be able to utilize it.

PC eye

banned
That would be have to done to two cores on a quad while one on a dual core model for that to take place. On a quad two are primary while the other two are secondary. What you would probably see instead would be that incorporated into the board as an additional chip inline with the onboard as well as PCI-E slot(s).