What format to convert to to burn a CD?

I have 38 songs in .mp3.

I tried converting them to .wmv, but that didn't work in my CD player.

What format do they need to be, and how do I convert them?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You don't need to convert mp3's. Just burn them to cd.

To add to this, burn them with Windows Media Player. That way you're less likely to mess something up and it will play in your CD player.

You don't need to convert mp3's. Just burn them to cd.

It didn't work in my car. And it's a brand new CD player that has played other CDs.

Is there a program that comes with Windows XP that can convert a .mp3 to a .wav?

Last edited by a moderator:
audio cd

What player do you have in your car?

You have to burn it as an audio CD if the player doesn't support files specifically (and is like most traditional CD players that use tracks).

Sigh, he already answered your question...

How do I convert the .mp3 files to an audio cd. And what program? No, I don't think he answered that.

It is just some $60 CD player you buy at Best Buy.

beers

Staff member
Your files don't need to be in wav, not sure why you assumed that by default but it's inaccurate. You can burn audio CDs from most file formats through windows media player.

I did that with .mp3 and also .wmv. Neither of them worked in my CD player.

JVC KD-R650 and right on the CD player, it says "MP3 WMV WAV"....

So my guess is as good as yours why they wouldn't play in either .mp3 or .wmv.

beers

Staff member
Did you just burn them as files or did you make tracks? I think most CDs only allow 70 minutes or so of play time as an audio disc.

This is definitely a user issue instead of a format issue

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Why use a CD? You have a USB port. Just load all your music on a flashdrive.

G25r8cer

Way easier and cheaper. Cd's are outdated tech now days

I can't remember the last time I used or even burned a CD. Or DVD for the matter.

strollin

I agree the flashdrive is the way to go but the .mp3s on the CD should have been playable as well. CDs hold only about 480MB of data and can get scratched, flashdrives can hold GBs of data and don't get scratched. I have a 16GB flashdrive plugged into my car's audio system, don't think I've ever played a CD in it.