What graphics card and processor will be compatible with my motherboard?

Kathryn

What graphics card and processor will be compatible with my motherboard?
Looking for an upgrade for my PC. *Note* At the time I was on a budget to build a PC.

Current Specs:-
My graphics card:-Nvidia gtx 750 2GB
My processor:-AMD FX 6300
My motherboard:- Asus M5A78L-M
PSU:-400W

beers

Staff member
Pretty much any graphics card.

You'd want to upgrade your PSU. Processor wise it'd be better just to get another board and CPU if you wanted to upgrade that side. A new GPU over the 750 while still using the 6300 will still perform decently.

Kathryn

Might just leave the processor then. Thinking about getting a nvidia gtx970 2gb or 1050 4gb. How much wattage do you think I would need?

Thanks for the help.

_Glitch

Yeah, that PSU is not gonna cut it. I would go 650-750 watt.

What's your budget for the graphic card and PSU?

_Glitch

Don't give me that "wait what..." bullsh*t.

You do realize that just because you are using 300w you don't just need a 300w PSU. I know you do.
Most PSU's are the most efficient between 40-55%. So if you are drawing 300w while gaming, you should go for a 650.
And the reason i said up to 750w is simply because that a lot of high end PSU lineups don't go lower. So these are typically the range for gamers.
My PSU is 760w, because that was the lowest AX series Corsair PSU i could get.

Cisco001

What model is your PSU?
If it is a good quantity one, you probably can get GTX 1060 without change PSU.

Laquer Head

Don't give me that "wait what..." bullsh*t.

You do realize that just because you are using 300w you don't just need a 300w PSU. I know you do.
Most PSU's are the most efficient between 40-55%. So if you are drawing 300w while gaming, you should go for a 650.
And the reason i said up to 750w is simply because that a lot of high end PSU lineups don't go lower. So these are typically the range for gamers.
My PSU is 760w, because that was the lowest AX series Corsair PSU i could get.

...wait..what?

beers

Staff member
Most PSU's are the most efficient between 40-55%.
This argument is rather overused, on modern 80 plus PSUs the difference is only like 1%. You'd never recoup the money difference by upgrading just for that reason.

A higher wattage unit gives you more flexibility for upgrades in the future.

_Glitch

I don't think it's overused. If you live in a country with high electricity cost, it really matters in the long run and i doubt your argument about the 1%. But there are more to it than that.

(This is mainly a response to Intel and Laquer)
You will find more quality PSU's in the 600'th watts than you will find in the 500'th. So you got more options to choose from.
Gamers usually go for PSU's in the 600-750 watt range. So manufactures take that into a count when designing new lineups of PSU's.
Higher than 750W, you are entering enthusiasm territory, lower than 600, you are entering casual territory.
PSU's are designed accordingly. And you can find tons of these PSU's in different prices. Doesn't have to get too expensive to get something reliable and efficient.

These are my 2 cents.
Buy hey. I will leave you to it then. I am not here to start any negative desussions, and i cen feel it's going in that direction. Kathryn just want some help. Not all this. Unsubbing

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
It's just a discussion. The debate is necessary as your information isn't necessarily relevant or accurate. There are plenty of quality low wattage units as well, and suggesting higher wattage as an automatic grade of quality is both invalid and bad advice.

@Kathryn what budget are you working with now for these upgrades?

Darren

Staff member
Not to throw a wrench in this but I think you'd be fine with a 1050 and the current PSU. I put 1050's in machines at work that come with the stock Dell 350-400 watt units and they're fine. They only draw power from the PCI-E slot anyway which caps you at 75 watts. Power consumption is probably similar to the 750 you already have.

1050 is easiest option. If you're wanting past that might as well just save for a whole new setup.