What graphics cards will be fine with this PSU?

Dazzeerr

Here is all the information. I know all the recommended Wattage and all for different hardware I just need to know if my amp/voltage thing is fine as I know nothing about that. Thanks :)

Looking to power an 8800GT or 9800GT btw.

AC Input: 115V to 230V
Colour: Silver
Connectors: 1 x 20/24 Pin Main Power‚1 x 4 pin Main Power‚1 x AT Power‚1 x Serial ATA‚1 x 4-pin floppy‚4 x 4-pin peripheral
Cooling System: 1 x 80mm Fan
Depth: 140mm
Height: 85mm
Hold-up Time: 16 to 20ms
M.T.B.F.: 10,000 Hours
Maximum Power: 500W
Model Number: 149898PSOTG
Noise: Low operating noise
Operating Temperature: 10°C to 50°C
Over Load Protection: +3.3V‚+5V‚+12V
Over Voltage Protection: Fuse Integrated Cord
Package Type: Retail
Special Features: Overvoltage and overloading protection‚Low operating noise‚Selectable Voltage Input 115V/230V
Storage Temperature: -40°C to 70°C
Type: ATX 12V‚SFX 12V
Warranty: 1 Year
Web Address: www.octigen.com
Width: 150mm

red onion

LINK will tell you what wattage PSU you need. As long as your CPU has the wattage + a margin, then you should be ok. Both cards needs an extra power connector, but your PSU should be able to handle it.

Dazzeerr

Ah theres another question.

Do all or most 8800 and 9800s come with a DVI to VGA adapter and a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-E?

Dazzeerr

Im well in. 372W it says i need. So plenty of room.

Now i just need to know if the Voltage and Amperage is fine, and also about the adapters. :)

red onion

Ah theres another question.

Do all or most 8800 and 9800s come with a DVI to VGA adapter and a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-E?

Check for the particular brand and model you are considering, (newegg usually has pics of what the box contains, as do many review sites), but in general they come with the card.

jdbennet

no thats crap

do you have more than 1 +12v? labelled +12v1 and +12v2 or someting?

lol an 8800 needs like 28a or someting

18a will run like a low end card only

you want dual 12v rails with 18-28a on each, preferably. That will let you run a powerful system and a poweful GPU with no problems

Last edited:

Dazzeerr

I can only see one +12v on the power supply.

The +3.3v is 28A and the +5v is 38A.

Looks like i'll be needing a new PSU then? *sigh*

Ok. Decided on the PSU i'm going to get. Pretty sure the Brand is a respected name. It's a :

Hiper 580W SLi Certified ATX2.2

The reviews say about good quality of build, and a lot have posted high-performance rigs they are using with it. Plus it's only £40, which is around $78. Good stuff :D

Last edited:

jdbennet

good , and yeah, watch for the +12v thats whats important

also bear in mind an expensive "400w" psu may put out 375 whereas a cheapass "650w" may only put out 400w

Dazzeerr

good , and yeah, watch for the +12v thats whats important

also bear in mind an expensive "400w" psu may put out 375 whereas a cheapass "650w" may only put out 400w

Ok thanks for your help. Haven't been able to find any info on the Amperage on the 12V+ rail, but loads of people with more demanding rigs have bought them.
It also has all the cables you need and more, including 2 PCI-E cables. =]

jdbennet

the 12v supply is principaly used for the GPU and CPU hence why the current on it is the most important.

Power ("P" - watts) = Voltage (v) x Current ("I" - amps)

if you do the sums (remember that psus are only 60% or so efficient) youll see that a huge chunk of the total wattage is going on the 12v rails. The +12v is important. It powersall the power hungry CPUs and GFX cards. The drives and ports etc... draw under like 50w. Thats why a basic pc can get away with a 250/300w psu when a quad core gaming one needs 600w+

a decent PSU should have AT LEAST 18a on two rails (total output 36a) to run a high end card

(if you wonder why your sums dont add up its because cheap psus are only like 30% efficient, so lose a huge amount of power as heat, which serverely affects the level of output, specifically where GPUs are concerned)

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I can only see one +12v on the power supply.

The +3.3v is 28A and the +5v is 38A.

Looks like i'll be needing a new PSU then? *sigh*

Ok. Decided on the PSU i'm going to get. Pretty sure the Brand is a respected name. It's a :

Hiper 580W SLi Certified ATX2.2

The reviews say about good quality of build, and a lot have posted high-performance rigs they are using with it. Plus it's only £40, which is around $78. Good stuff :D

http://www.hipergroup.com/products.php?lv=4&cate=1&type=7&pid=15&action=Specification

jdbennet

should be fine i think

nvidia reccomend 26a minimum for the 9800 on an average machine, so 38a should be fine for a quad core machine , i *think*

Dazzeerr

It says that the max i will hit is 14.8A.

If this is true, and my current PSU is 17A, do i not need to upgrade?

Okedokey

You need a minimum of 26A on the 12V rail. You cannot simply add them together to get the total, because many "multi rail" psu's are not multi rail, therefore under ATX design standards, have 12V+1 (sometimes 12V+2) dedicated to the CPU. Meaning it cannot share any unsued amperage. Deduct 1 of the 12V rails, add the rest of them up, and if it is 26A or over that is what you need.

You are also advised to get the following:

Active PFC
80%+ efficiency
MTB rated at 40oC or 50oC NOT 25oC
Ball bearing fan

If you want further advice, ask, or post your psu and i will clarify.

Last edited:

Dazzeerr

Ok, i know for sure now that my current PSU will not run well, and may already be running too much :S

Here's what I think i'll get :
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-009-HP

It looks like a good quality PSU, I can't find anything about the amps on the rails through google. Does anyone know if it will power my PC with some leg room?

EDIT: I looked at the reviews and someone said they are using it with this rig and it's fine :

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
2GB GeIL Black Dragon, 2GB GeIL Value Dual Channel RAM
Sparkle NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB Overclocked
Samsung Lightscribe Optical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint T 320GB, Maxtor 160GB
About 4 fans around the case

Also :

Q6600 @ 3.55Ghz - 1.35V
Asus P5k
2 sticks of pc8500 - 2.1V
8800GT