What happened to Newegg? 2.31 rating on resellerratings.com

Robert P

My previous impression of Newegg.com is that they were the gold standard for buying computer parts as far as reliability but I see they have a 2.31/5 rating on resellerratings.com, with reviews split between 5 star and 1 star.

Do you feel this is accurate or is resellerratings flawed?

Darren

Staff member
They got bought by a Chinese company in 2016 and stuff took a nosedive.

They are good for finding parts and stuff, but in terms of actual purchasing I don't have the allegiance to them that they once deserved. That said I haven't really had a problem with them but haven't bought much since around 2018 anyway.

Okedokey

Do you feel this is accurate or is resellerratings flawed?
Most user ratings are either gamed, or flawed. People who either LOVE or HATE the product are motivated to respond or rate. Therefore take the reviews with a bit of scepticism (as you have), but also, how have other retailers faired with the latest supply chain issues or what are the key problems they have. Generally, its about 50:50 in terms of trust value. Better of coming here and asking for advice. :).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I either buy my pc stuff from either Amazon or Microcenfer anymore. Haven't used Newegg in over 3 years. They closed out my preferred credit account because I haven't used it. No big deal. I did have a $4500 limit though.

beers

Staff member
They've been going downhill for a while, which was way exacerbated by being bought out.

GamersNexus covered a recent story where they were denying shipping out faulty refurb products and blaming the customer.

I had been shopping there since '01 or so but it's largely a different experience.

hrsetrdr

I've been a Newegg customer since they opened. A lot has gone downhill, the "market place" concept with 3rd party vendors, the website is so code heavy it has frozen my browser on several occasions. I'm buying more electronics on Amazon, of course I have to watch out for them too.