What happened to the GTX 590?

Mez

I know i'm late, but why were the GTX 590s pulled from the major retailer stores? We're they recalled or something?

P.S. I've been meaning to ask this for a while, never came around to it.

M1kkelZR

yeah I think they just quit the production, I can still get a gigabyte GTX590 over here, but I dont think its usefull as the 580 does everything just as good.

spirit

Staff member
Alien! Where? said:
but why were the GTX 590s pulled from the major retailer stores?
How many people do you know who own a GTX 590?

I think that answers your question. ;)

No they were limited in stock and not many people bought them because they were expensive, like really expensive, and two GTX 580s were faster and a bit cheaper as bigfella said. Eventually the stock ran out and I think NVIDIA discontinued them.

Okedokey

No they were limited in stock and not many people bought them because they were expensive, like really expensive, and two GTX 580s were faster and a bit cheaper as bigfella said. Eventually the stock ran out and I think NVIDIA discontinued them.

Sounds good on paper, but the issue doesnt relate to stock whatsoever. The GPU is identical to the GTX580 (a GF100) that is, the GTX590 is simply 2 x GF100 chips on a SINGLE PCB. I can still buy plenty more GTX580s (GF100's) so its not yeild, nor production levels or stock.

Is it the PCB board? Nope, theres a reference design and standard tooling.

Driver support? Fail. This is where the problem comes from. Too difficult to optimise as its SLI bridge is onboard and controlled by ICs that get the same heat issues. A standard single GTX580 generates enough heat by itself. I HAD to watercool mine.

The GTX 590 failed, because essentially, its was the overheated conjoined mutant twin twin of a standard GTX580 SLI setup. Yes the GTX590 was fast, dam fast. But hot and sometimes much slower than even a single GTX580, in games that weren't optimised (read many).

So thats why you don't see them. Because they sucked.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Sounds good on paper, but the issue doesnt relate to stock whatsoever. The GPU is identical to the GTX580 (a GF100) that is, the GTX590 is simply 2 x GF100 chips. I can still buy plenty more GTX580s. So its not that.

Driver support? Fail. This is where the problem comes from. Too difficult to optimise as its SLI bridge is onboard and controlled by ICs that get the same heat issues. A standard single GTX580 generates enough heat by itself. I HAD to watercool mine.

The GTX 590 failed, because essentially, its was the overheated conjoined mutant twin twin of a standard GTX580 SLI setup. Yes the GTX590 was fast, dam fast. But hot and sometimes much slower than even a GTX580 in games that weren't optimised (read many). Whats worse you say? Even Quad SLI (e.g. 2 x GTX590 = 4 x GF100), it was slower than GTX580SLI, and 10% faster than GTX590SLI (e.g. 1 card).

This wasn't in all games, but enough to make the price tag too high, thus demand too low.

So thats why you don't see them.
...it just sucked.

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

I know someone who has one...complains of issues with secondlife with it...and all i can suggest to him is replace it with a single card...tho he wont listen...the buggers probably wonky due to heat issues mentioned....just stuffing such high watt cores in a small package = failure at some point

Rollo

Sounds good on paper, but the issue doesnt relate to stock whatsoever. The GPU is identical to the GTX580 (a GF100) that is, the GTX590 is simply 2 x GF100 chips on a SINGLE PCB. I can still buy plenty more GTX580s (GF100's) so its not yeild, nor production levels or stock.

The GTX 590 failed, because essentially, its was the overheated conjoined mutant twin twin of a standard GTX580 SLI setup. Yes the GTX590 was fast, dam fast. But hot and sometimes much slower than even a single GTX580, in games that weren't optimised (read many).

So thats why you don't see them. Because they sucked.

So much misinformation in this thread. Unlike all of the "knowledgeable" posters, I'm actually using a GTX590 in my i5 2500K/25X16 secondary rig.

It did a long stint in my 990X/57 X 10 rig before that.

I never had an issue with heat.

I never had an issue with a game.

The benches I did run at 57 X 10 showed it around as fast as my GTX480SLi, and reviews showed it traded benches with the HD6990. (this means they are STILL tied as the fastest single slot solution, although 680s are knocking on the door and a better choice)

Single card dual GPU cards are never as fast as dual high end. There is no market for $1000 cards, and no one would buy two $500 cards if they could get the same for $700.. Not to mention power/heat limitations.

As to "where they are" my guess is they're EOL for production as NVIDIA ramps up the 6 series.

Jamebonds1

Last edited:

plutoniumman

They were probly defective like most other NVIDIA products are. I don't see why NVIDIA's so popular for GPU manufacturer. Their products are nice but fail way too early.

Jamebonds1

They were probly defective like most other NVIDIA products are. I don't see why NVIDIA's so popular for GPU manufacturer. Their products are nice but fail way too early.

If you knew products are fail too early then you will need to post proof of link.

Okedokey

GTX 590 is 700 dollar and two GTX 580 is 1000 dollar. GTX 590 is still selling on amazon.com but it cost 1250 dollar. So dual GPU GTX 560 is better choose for anyone who have single PCIe 16X. it is 500 dollar. It need a lot of watt and amp, plus two 8 pin. ouch.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...XMUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333726038&sr=8-1

Nice try.

Amazon sell at current prices the following:

GTX590 - $1250 - same link you must have been refering too.

GTX580 - $480

That means two GTX580's at $960 is nearly 300 bucks cheap and faster that one GTX590. It has aways been this way.

Jamebonds1

Nice try.

Amazon sell at current prices the following:

GTX590 - $1250 - same link you must have been refering too.

GTX580 - $480

That means two GTX580's at $960 is nearly 300 bucks cheap and faster that one GTX590. It has aways been this way.

what the..? I don't say GTX 590 700 dollar on amazon.com, it was on newegg.com i was refering to. You should watch how you act.

and yes you're right. SLI GTX 580 did beat GTX 590. But still GTX 590 would be better choose for if computer have single PCIe X16 2.0. SLI requirement two PCIe X16 2.0

plutoniumman

If you knew products are fail too early then you will need to post proof of link.

I don't have very many links for proof, but I know Apple has ditched NVIDIA for GPUs in their laptops and desktops, because there were too many defective chips. http://semiaccurate.com/2009/06/26/apple-nvidia-dont-let-door-hit-your-ss-way-out/

looking for the article I linked to above, it appears Dell is transitioning away from NVIDIA, too, for the same reason as Apple: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137463/nvidia-dell

A class-action lawsuit has been files against NVIDIA because they've distributed so many defective chips: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

That site doesn't show the affected devices, or really anything anymore, but it was a LOT; a lot of Dell, HP and Apple laptops included. It wasn't 'just one bad batch' or anything, just continuously bad chips.
...Several of my very expensive devices contain defective chips; 2 of which were qualified for a settlement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an NVIDIA hater. Until recently I used to only go with NVIDIA when I had the option. It's just that their QC has done a terrible job the last few years.

Rollo

I don't have very many links for proof, but I know Apple has ditched NVIDIA for GPUs in their laptops and desktops, because there were too many defective chips. http://semiaccurate.com/2009/06/26/apple-nvidia-dont-let-door-hit-your-ss-way-out/

looking for the article I linked to above, it appears Dell is transitioning away from NVIDIA, too, for the same reason as Apple: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137463/nvidia-dell

A class-action lawsuit has been files against NVIDIA because they've distributed so many defective chips: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

That site doesn't show the affected devices, or really anything anymore, but it was a LOT; a lot of Dell, HP and Apple laptops included. It wasn't 'just one bad batch' or anything, just continuously bad chips.
...Several of my very expensive devices contain defective chips; 2 of which were qualified for a settlement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an NVIDIA hater. Until recently I used to only go with NVIDIA when I had the option. It's just that their QC has done a terrible job the last few years.

Yeah, I can tell you're a big NVIDIA fan quoting Charlie D articles from 2009 in April 2012....

You could quote his newer articles at least:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/21/exclusive-apple-swaps-gpu-suppliers-again/

Apple booted AMD late last year and replaced them with NVIDIA.

Great "quality control" at AMD? Not so much:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/106217-manufacturing-bombshell-amd-cancels-28nm-apus-starts-from-scratch-at-tsmc

They just scrapped their whole APU line and started from scratch. LOL

I read another article wherein Apple officials were quoted as saying the reason they had to dump AMD for 2012 was the parts they were shown proved defective. (why AMD is starting from scratch)