What happens if I switch out the motherboards?

bkribbs

i have two laptops. one works, one doesnt. i like the s video outlet on the mobo of the broken laptop. if i swap motherboards, what all will change?

deanj20

well, if the motherboard you want to put in the shell of the laptop with the S-Video port doesn't have an S-Video port, then you're not accomplishing anything. Why do you like the outlet??? :confused:

Please tell us the make/model of both laptops and explain in a little more detail what you are trying to accomplish and we'll see what we can figure out.

bkribbs

sorry i meant the port. my moms old hp pavillion died on us, so i was going to salvage the parts from it to speed up my dads old dell inspiron. i just wanted to know what all would happen if i did switch out the mobos. but i would also like other parts that are compatible, im just not sure what is

Drenlin

You can't do that...a laptop's motherboard is generally made for that specific model. The HP's mobo likely will not physically fit into the Dell's shell.

BigSteve702

chances are the ports wont match up, the mounting holes wont match up... and likely the dc jack wont match up

bkribbs

Yeah I understand I can't. But I mean, what all does the mobo contain? Like ik this has the ports and stuff but does it have the BIOS and what else?

Paul17041993

apart from the fact that they are laptop mobos; the concept is the same as a desktop pc
if every thing was to fit, you would have no probs

if you were to try to swap the mobos; the mobo would be the wrong shape, size, port locations, ram location, cpu location, screen connector wont fit, keyboard and mouse connectors wont fit, battery wont fit and wont work, the list goes on....

oh yea; the dc psu probably wont work either

the motherboard is the main part of a computer that everything connects up to, different motherboards have different port and connector locations and different compatibility levels with certain things

Last edited: