What happens to HD data when it's moved to a USB flash drive?

Dart77

Before I put my old Gen 1 i5 750 into the shop to get upgraded with a better MB and SSD, more RAM etc, I emptied the Recycle bin. When I got the computer back with Windows re-installed, I was surprised to see about seven or eight things in the recycle bin that I knew I had deleted. It was almost 1 Gb of data. And this is with the old Hitachi HD removed and the new SSD installed. I had asked him to try and clone the existing HD onto the new SSD, as everything I had on it was working fine; but he said it didn't work properly with the new MB after cloning and so he had to re-install windows. But anyway, this just goes to show that when you think you have deleted things, they are still on the drive somewhere, unless overwritten later.

So then I was thinking, just out of interest, wondering what happens when, instead of deleting something normally (ie, sending to Recycle bin, then emptying etc) you cut and past (Move) it to a flashdrive? Is the data still on your HD somewhere, except with no reference as before? If so, then it means it hasn't been moved but only copied, and the data on the HD treated as if it were deleted.

I ask this because I have noticed that when you delete data from an Ext Hard drive, it goes to the Recycle bin on C drive, but when you delete data from a USB flash drive, it doesn't do this and asks. " Do you want to permanently delete this file?" So I assume there is no record of data deleted from a flash drive? Or is there?

And are the files from C drive which were Moved to USB, still actually on your HD?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Files are still there until the space they are on is overwritten with something else.

Please tell me that you actually upgraded to updated motherboard and new cpu and still not using the 750 cpu? That is 14 years old at this point.

Dart77

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes it's now upgraded to a Gigabyte GS-Q87M -MK motherboard with 32Gb installed but only 16 usable because he put WIn 7 Home Premium on instead of Professional which I had on it before (not happy, but it's going back in to get Professional installed). CPU is an i7 4770s 3.10Ghz.

He showed me somthing that said it was 4th Gen.

The thing is, its not going any better (worse in fact,) or faster than it was before. Sure, it boots up super quick, but everything else like copying, processing and rendering, is the same speed. It's using heaps more ram than the previous 8Gb MB was, as a percentage of the whole. And also seems to be running warmer than the other one. I keep SIV (System Information Viewer) open constantly to monitor the temperature of the cores. This one seems to have 8 cores instead of 4 like the i5, maybe that's why it runs hotter, but the TJ max is only 92 deg on this compared to 98 on the previous. He said he used thermal paste so I can only assume he did it properly. I redid the thermal paste on the previous i5 and the temp dropped significantly by 10-15 deg across the cores. Maybe all this I've said should be in another section - I intend to ask some questions soon about the cores in the CPU section.

Dart77

Thanks Beers, good idea - I just had a look and can buy Win 7 Pro for A$45. From Product Key 24 .com. It's about 4.7Gb Download? A proper one, actual disc in my hand would be nice though. There's a few actual discs here in Aust on ebay but they don't have the Product Key. I assume I need that if I'm going from Premium to Professional. There's a brand new sealed one on ebay with key but it's over $100 plus postage. This place PK24 seems to have lots of good reviews from Trust Pilot, plus technical support as well. It's given me a different angle so I will look at doing that.

As for the temps - I have attached a screenshot with multiple shots. And Task Manager. Ambient room temp was about 24 deg. C. It's not even summer yet and you can see the range (over about 3 weeks as I have not shut it down) has gone up to 84-85C. And TJ-max is only 92.

The reason I have not shut it down is because I am worried that the RAM usage problem will come back - as described in a former post. Right now it's behaving itself and has stabilized.

EDIT: Just had another look at some reviews of Product Key24 - on the Aust Review site "Product Review" . There's quite a few one-star disaster stories on there which has made me baulk a little. One guy was scammed out of over $5000. Saying it's not actually in USA but another Asian country. Other people are recommending another company called "softwaremaster dot com.au". With guaranteed warranty. Will keep looking.

Attachments

• Temps shot.jpg
    Temps shot.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Task Man shot 3.jpg
    Task Man shot 3.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Never mind, it's not available anymore.

I would be leary if anyone else has it. You might want to think about upgrading to at least windows 10.

Last edited:

Dart77

Thanks for the tip John. Will look into that one. One slight worry I have is that with our slow internet speeds, that downloading a huge file like that is a bit of a worry for me. I usually try not to download files great than 1.5 Gb - even those can take over an hour. Australia is a bit of a laughing stock of the world with our slow internet. But anyway, good to know that you've had no issues with them. I have been reading more reviews of ProductKey 24 and I think I will definitely be avoiding them.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ignore that last post of mine. That's not available anymore. I would suggest upgrading to windows 10 which is still free to do since you have windows 7. Windows 10 home max ram is 128gb.