What has happened to my old computer? Motheboard or the CPU has crashed?

User1111

Hello all.

Recently I have gotten a serious problem with my computer. Out of the blue I started getting continuous beeping sound with a keyboard/mouse lock.

Then this started happening even when I just turned the pc on. Sometimes when I turn on the computer I get a black screen rather than windows 2000. Sometimes it does pop up but neither the mouse nor the keyboard works.

I have tried switching keyboard, mouse. I have tried booting without HDD, sound, mouse, keyboard, CPU fan. But it seems to be none of those.

Unfortunately my computer is 2 years old and its warranty has experied (and the company seems to have disappeared).

I suspect that it is either the Motherboard or my old 1.8 GHz CPU.

My motherboard is AV40s (v1.0) Socket 478 Pentium 4 processor Based DDR MAIN Board with a P4 1.8 GHz processor.

Any ideas on what it might be? (I have not overclocked the CPU and I havent done anything with hardware.)

(I am typing from an even older computer)

Thank you very much!

computerdude2004

It sounds like you fried your CPU or something. Make sure you have all of the patches for W2K installed. Also check to make sure you don't have any viruses or any spyware on your computer.

User1111

computerdude2004 said:
It sounds like you fried your CPU or something. Make sure you have all of the patches for W2K installed. Also check to make sure you don't have any viruses or any spyware on your computer.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I was checking for viruses and spyware, and deleted them all.
I doubt that software could cause something like this.

Any specific way that I can do to determine if it is the CPU or the Motherboard?

I have never tempered with MB or the CPU (I don't even know how to overclock it)...

Any ideas?

Thanks!