What HD To Get?!!?!?

Vitaliy93

Well i'm going to build my very first pc and right now i'm still deciding on all the parts to get. I already decided what motherboard i will get CPU, CD-ROM, Graphics Card and so HD is next on my list. I figured its a hard drive, how hard can it be to pick out lol. I'm checking it out on Newegg and I see like 5 different companies. :confused:

So which hard drives are best, Western Digital, Seagate, FUJITSU, Hitachi, SAMSUNG....... What are your guys opinion on HD? The pc i'm building is mostly for gaming.... but not like crazy hard core gaming.... haahaha. I want a good and fast hard drive since the games will be located on the hard drive... but i dont want to break the bank either. Price range is like $50-$75. I dont need too much storage, 150GB at minimum.

Thanks in advance!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get Seagate, I've had some issues with Western Digital lately. Samsung makes decent drives but I don't think they have a 5 year warranty like Seagate and WD.

spearlymatt

There should be a 640gig Western Digital on there for like 70 bucks or so with good reviews. But I've never had it, so don't go solely by my word.

Vitaliy93

Ok, i checked out some of the Seagate HD on Newegg and almost all of them had poor reviews. So i check out the Western Digital, good review. So now i'm confused. You guys say Seagate, people on Newegg say Western Digital.

Also i read that sometimes when your installing the os for the first time the HD might not accept it during installation or when its installed, the HD wouldn't boot it properly.... Has this happened to anyone and how could you prevent it from happening?

Heres the one I'm thinking about getting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

Also, whats the difference between OEM and RETAIL? My motherboard will come with SATA cable so which one do I get, OEM or RETAIL

Thanks in advance....Again. :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to remember that the Seagate drive has over 5 times as many reviews as the WD. The only bad difference I see between the Seagate and WD is that the WD has a 5 year warranty to Seagates 3 year warranty. You might want to get the WD. The only difference between retail and OEM is that you will get manuals, hardware and cable with the retail version. OEM is just the drive itself.

Vitaliy93

You have to remember that the Seagate drive has over 5 times as many reviews as the WD. The only bad difference I see between the Seagate and WD is that the WD has a 5 year warranty to Seagates 3 year warranty. You might want to get the WD. The only difference between retail and OEM is that you will get manuals, hardware and cable with the retail version. OEM is just the drive itself.

Thanks. I decided that i want to get retail, just to be on the safe side and not risk having problems. So i'm thinking about getting this one, what do you thiink?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136039

MouSe

I, personally, HATE Seagate HDD's. Why? I've never had one that lasted more than 6 months. I have NEVER had a Western Digital HDD fail. NEVER! I currently have an IDE external WD that the casing failed on, and the HDD itself is still going strong.

Again, this is my opinion and my experience.

Yea Western Digitals are by far a superior drive. There are way too many issues right now with Seagate to even consider buying one.

Vitaliy93

I, personally, HATE Seagate HDD's. Why? I've never had one that lasted more than 6 months. I have NEVER had a Western Digital HDD fail. NEVER! I currently have an IDE external WD that the casing failed on, and the HDD itself is still going strong.

Again, this is my opinion and my experience.

Yea Western Digitals are by far a superior drive. There are way too many issues right now with Seagate to even consider buying one.

Wow thanks for the input guys. 100% Western Digital for sure!!! BTW, your pc's are sick, Intel i7, lucky!!!:cool:

Hey Mouse, how do you like your cool master case? I'm still undecided on what case to get, and so I need some opinions.