What is cheaper

wildguy2

In your experiences what is the best way to go, buy a computer or build from scratch, which way is cheaper. I am running through the internet and pricing some of the parts on my system and I feel I got ripped as I paid over 2 grand for my system 1 1/2 years ago, now piece by piece it's worth under a grand. Would building one be cheaper?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Definitely!

It is definitely cheaper when you shop for OEM parts on the internet. They can literally save you many bucks. I would go for it. Try this...look for a pc online with the specs you want. Note the price down as well as all the components. Use http://www.newegg.com for example and see how much all that would add up to. It's gonna be much lower man.

JAN :D

wildguy2

Newegg is american states shipping, have anything for us Canadian folk?

But I definately see just from glancing through that site how it is definately cheaper to build than buy.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Lol

Man you will save money for sure. You will get warranty with all the OEM products so you do not really have to worry about potential problems. I am sorry but I am Czech and therefore know no Canadian shops. I bt you have plenty. I know my country does and it's behind Canada :).

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Newegg is american states shipping, have anything for us Canadian folk?
Neweggs sucks because (1) they dont ship to canada (2) too damn expensive even :p

It is definitely cheaper when you shop for OEM parts on the internet
Depends if the parts are available or not :p i.e., if i wanted to build a custom video-array system id have to buy the alienware system first........ :p

deathbysunshine

newegg?

why does newegg suck so much and do u know any better comp sites out there that are cheaper ? im not in canada so its all good for me

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
why does newegg suck so much
LOL
1. To expensive, sometimes even if i ignore the exchange rate it's still expensive
2. No amount of super fast shipping will beat me going down the street and grabbing it myself
3. Computer Shows pwn all for prices
4. If you establish a working relationship with some of the smaller computer stores and get to know the managers and stuff, eventually you can set your own price

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
4. If you establish a working relationship with some of the smaller computer stores and get to know the managers and stuff, eventually you can set your own price

Now there is a piece of advice everyone needs to reread and remember! I was looking around in a local computer warehouse about a week and a half ago and I could not find what I was looking for, at least nothing that fit within my budget.. so I saw a manager and decided to ask him (I usually hate asking people for help... they act condescending, once they help you, it seems they look at you like you are a retard for not figuring it out on your own..), short story long: The manager had a computer in the back room, for about $250 (USD) less than anything on the sales floor...

deathbysunshine

yes i suppose

yes i suppose your rightm although there hasnt been a comp show around here for about a year and a half now. (which blows tremendously) and it takes a half hour just to get to one of the smaller stores so what about gas money. and also i just got a haircut. YES. and how did u guys becomne moderators? and admins ?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and it takes a half hour just to get to one of the smaller stores so what about gas money
1. Walk
2. The savings can still win out

and how did u guys becomne moderators? and admins ?
New topic = new thread (they applied to be Mods) (also, read the stickies and FAQ)

wildguy2

Praetor:

Are you from Canada? and if so do you know any good online stores to purchase parts from that ship to Canada?

Praetor said:
LOL
1. To expensive, sometimes even if i ignore the exchange rate it's still expensive
2. No amount of super fast shipping will beat me going down the street and grabbing it myself
3. Computer Shows pwn all for prices

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are you from Canada? and if so do you know any good online stores to purchase parts from that ship to Canada?
:D

I dont buy stuff online much (only things ive bought are a few fans and a case or two, never had the need). Places i look at are Xoxide and FrozenCPU.

wildguy2

Praetor said:

:D

I dont buy stuff online much (only things ive bought are a few fans and a case or two, never had the need). Places i look at are Xoxide and FrozenCPU.

Sorry had a blind and stupid moment there......just had to look at your user stats at the side of the page.....duh...

I have checked into places like Staples and Future shop, but they are limited to what they have. Same as radio shack.

I have a few computer places here in my area but they are so expensive for their parts it's just nuts, they have no competition so they can charge just about anything they want.

Thanks praetor.