What is Citrix?

gib65

Hello,

I need to know about Citrix Servers. What are they?

I have a client who is asking the question:

"With the possible windows 10 issue can the software run on a citrix server running server 2008, server 2012 or server 2016?"

The "software" he's talking about is a desktop application we produced. He asked me if we will be releasing a Windows 10 version of the software to which I said "probably." Now he's asking this question.

I don't know what Windows 10 has to do with Citrix or with the other operating systems he listed. I'm assuming Citrix is the hardware and it will be running Windows Server 2008, 2012, or 2016. Either that or Citrix is the operating system and Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 is a virtual server that will be running on it.

Either way, I would think the answer to his question depends on whether our software can be installed on Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 (which it currently does NOT) and has nothing to do with Citrix or Windows 10.

^ Does this make any sense?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
When I think Citrix I think XenServer which is a hypervisor. Without knowing more about your software I can't say if it matters at all. It may due to the virtual hardware emulation.

gib65

Thanks Cromewell,

Based on my research so far, it seems that the only thing that matters for installing/running the application is the virtual OS running on the Citrix system, not Citrix itself.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Cromewell,

Based on my research so far, it seems that the only thing that matters for installing/running the application is the virtual OS running on the Citrix system, not Citrix itself.
More or less. If your application interacts with hardware there may be considerations, otherwise it should work as it would on bare metal.