What is in your arsenal of computer protection?

DirtyD86

banned
i use firefox. you might say it isn't computer security but when compared to IE i beg to differ :p

avast, ccleaner, and lavasoft ad aware... although using avast with firefox has made ad-aware almost obsolete.

i'm also behind a router with only the essential ports forwarded

Respital

Oh wow.. umm

Common Sense and;

Anti-Virus: Avira AntiVir
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Pro
Spyware/Malware(Realtime): Spybot Search & Destroy
On demand scanners: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware
Web Browser: Firefox
Security Add-ons for Firefox: WOT (Web Of Trust), Ad Block Plus.

tlarkin

VIP Member
They have security in mind but they aren't security apps, they don't stop anything from attacking your machine and they don't help protect it and they don't run actively, they require user interaction.

If your machine gets infected some of those utilities are useless. I think the main concern on this thread was prevention, and not cleaning up afterwards.

Security is best set in layers, and while I will say hijack this is probably more of a security app because it allows you to see what is running but again it requires user interaction and you have to know what to look for.

Having strong passwords and requiring authentication for everything is one of the best layers of security you can have. So many people get rooted from dictionary attacks because they use retarded passwords, or leave their passwords blank.

tyttebøvs

why the hell would i go around clicking stupid banners? :)

I run the occational malware scanner, I used to use an AV but hardly bother now, ive AGV and Nod32 installed but never turned on.

You misunderstand. The banner itself included the malicious code. So with that banner, all you needed was to visit myspace.com (and a browser that wasn't fully updated), no clicking needed.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Avira AntiVir, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for an occasional scan through the rig. Linux as soon as ATI OS drivers mature...

FairDoos

COMODO Internet Security, SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Firewall Router. :)

jtb_90

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Ccleaner
TuneUp Utilities 2009
Malwarebytes' Anti-Spyware

gamerman4

My computer protection amounts to as you guys in the UK say, f*** all. Unless you count Windows defender and the other builtin stuff.

Last edited: