What is my IDLE temperature?

hbcao2004

1. I closed down all the program down and waited 10 minutes for the temperature to settle. After 10 minutes, CPU temperature = 38C, Motherboard=30C, under the room temperature of 22.5C. (both MBM2 and Asus Probe 2 showed the samething)

2. I restarted the computer immediately and went into bios.

3. CPU=44C, Motherboard=30C, under the room temperature of 22.5C. (this is the temperature of the CPU and the motherboard according to bios, and it is immediately after the restart)

4. I stayed in bios for a couple of minutes.
after 25 second, CPU=45C
after 40 second, CPU=46C
after 50 second, CPU=47C
after 95 second, CPU=48C
after 128 second, CPU=49C
after 220 second, CPU=50C
after 300 second, CPU=51C
after 430 second, CPU=52C

Motherboard temperature didn't change, still 30C. CPU temperature stays at 52C after 430 second.

So, what is my IDLE temperature? 38C? 45C? 52C? Please answer me! Thank you.

Picklee

it looks more like you have an overheating problem. my cpu ussually stays at 28c never really goes higher

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ok

I would rather trust the BIOS reading. I personally usually see lower temps in my BIOS than in MSI PcAlert monitoring sofware, but that's a different story. So I think the 52 is your IDLE TEMP. At least that's what I would consider as the most reliable.

JAN :D

hbcao2004

But the problem with bios is that, when running bios, it needs some of the CPU speed. So it is kind of hard to say that bios speed is the IDLE speed.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the bios cannot read an idle temperature. it uses every single cycle as if you were running full load your mbm and asus probe temps are the best reference to find the idle temperatue

38 is the idle temperature the bios readings are full load

hbcao2004

Well, I dont think 52C is the full load, my cpu can reach to 62 according to the software, but rarely since I am not a gamer. It only reach 62 when I use 5 program at the same time to do a complete scan for virus, spyware and adware.

So is 38C IDLE and 62C FUll, under the room temperature of 22.5 a little high?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yes 62 is high for a northwood. my guess is poor airflow inside your case, a failing cpu fan or improperly mounted heatsink

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it looks more like you have an overheating problem. my cpu ussually stays at 28c never really goes higher
Yeah but you dont know what processor (s)he is running :)

But which one is my IDLE temperature? I mean, which one is more accurate?
Theres no such thing as an idle temperature. Its an idle range ... to find out what the approximate idle range is...
1. turn your computer off and let it completely cool dowqn
2. Turn it on, goto bios and look at the hardware monitor, write down the first temperature you see
3. Leave the room for 30 minutes
4. Come back and write down the first temperature you see

My cpu fan runs 2435-2500RPM. Not so sure about heatsink
RPM doesnt have much of a bearing on the efficiency/effectiveness of the cooler

hbcao2004

My CPU is a Northwood P4 2.5

The first temperature i see in the bios is 45C and when i leave the room for 30 minutes and come back, it is 52C.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
regardless of what anyone has said, your p4 will not idle in the bios. my p4 is running 28C right now, under full load it hits 44C, in the bios its 44C all the time

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The first temperature i see in the bios is 45C and when i leave the room for 30 minutes and come back, it is 52C.
Ok then your idle range is 45-52 :)

regardless of what anyone has said, your p4 will not idle in the bios.
Agreed (with the potential exception of mobiles, as we discussed) ... the only way to drop temps in BIOS are to (1) increase cooling or (2) reduce heat output by downclocking :)

hbcao2004

Well, according to my software, my IDLE temperature is 38-42 and when my CPU is under full loard, it can reach to 58-62.