What is plug and play technology?

Laquer Head

For lack of a technical explanation, basically means something is read for use simply by plugging it in, and it not requiring setup or external assistance.

Easiest example is nearly anything that is USB

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Them homework questions though.

As per the name, it's supposed to be usable once you plug it in, such as a keyboard or mouse.

I was thinking the exact same thing. ;) Verbatim how a textbook or ditto'd copy (did I just show my age there?) would read.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
There are no advantages to plug and play. Life used to be much better back then when hardware installation entailed sacrifices to various deities before the device was even detected by the computer, and then often manually configuring it. Extensibility means simply that the cables used to connect the piece of hardware is elastic and can be stretched quite a bit. My printer is in another room so the connecting USB cable also doubles as a clothesline and an ad-hoc musical instrument. The printer is the only piece of plug and play hardware I own.

mistersprinkles

Plug and play doesn't mean that it doesn't need drivers, it means that the computer can recognize and configure the device with no user intervention. Drivers may still be required. Whether they are automatically provided by windows or whether a seperate installer is required is on a case by case basis.

Geoff that answer may not get me my A+ but I'll settle for B- certification. That entitles me to teach "computers" to old folks at the rec center on Thursday evenings for minimum wage. The money's not great but I go for Edgar's Korean war stories and Edna's cookies more than anything else.