What is rule of thumb for refresh rate?

virginiajack

What are the guidlines (rule of thumb) for the refresh rate to use? I suppose you don't necessarily use the highest refresh rate the hardware permits -- but then what?

red onion

Use the highest refresh rate that your monitor and videocard will accept. You will have less eyestrain that way. ;)

virginiajack

OK, thanks -- I was under the impression that there was some analogy between the RPMs of a motor and a referesh rate,i.e., the more RPMs the more strain on the motor.

virginiajack

>What motor?<

Like a car engine for example -- if you always run it at top RPMs you'll certainly impose more more strain and wear it out sooner than otherwise.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but the analogy doesnt apply. One motor is about brute force the other is designed for finesse.

virginiajack

I don't want to make a big deal over this, but, basically the faster a CPU the hotter it gets -- and now we use heat-sinks and fans. It seems to me that a higher refresh rate means hotter or faster use and therefore wears out things quicker, but, maybe the result of using the fastest refresh rate possible is negligible.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to make a big deal over this, but, basically the faster a CPU the hotter it gets -- and now we use heat-sinks and fans. It seems to me that a higher refresh rate means hotter or faster use and therefore wears out things quicker, but, maybe the result of using the fastest refresh rate possible is negligible.
I see what you're saying except with monitors, they default with the top Hz and are divided down to whatever Hz is currently in place.