What is the best bit rate?

sup2jzgte

Does anyone know what Bit rate a audio CD is in? I always thought that 320 was the as high as you can go, but I was informed that 320 is compressed. The reason why I ask is because I have a Demo CD of my friends band that I want to put on my MP3 player, but I really dont want have is compressed at all. Is there anyway to get better quality than 320 or is there a way to not compress this demo cd and still put on my player? I really dont care ho much space it takes up but I just want to best quality I can get.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Standard CD audio is
(16 bits/sample)(44100 samples/sec)(2 channels) = 1411200 bits/sec = 176400 bytes/sec ~= 172Kbyte/s (although it's commonly denoted as 1411kbit/s)

As for quality, with MP3/MP3 pro the best you'll be able to do is VBR320. If you want more consider something like FLAC, AAC, or Vorbis or WMA9 Lossless

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It was April fools, but lets stay on topic ;)

Is there anyway to get better quality than 320 or is there a way to not compress this demo cd and still put on my player? I really dont care ho much space it takes up but I just want to best quality I can get.
Well you're gonna be interested in a lossless format such as FLAC or WMA Lossless but do note that there will be severe (from an audiophile's perspective) quality degradation if you plan to playback using the MP3 player (as most arent designed for that type of use)