What Is The Best GPU That My PC Can Run At Its %100 Capacity?

murat guler

Hi All

I have a pretty old PC and I want to replace its Nvidia GTX 970 GPU with a better GPU. My PC consists of....

- Asus Z170P Mainboard
- Intel I5 6600K CPU (OC @4.1 Ghz)
- 16 GB Kingston DDR4 2666 Mhz Ram
- 650W Glacial Power PSU

I want to learn, what is the best GPU that my PC can run at its %100 capacity? I don’t want to make a dead investment by purchasing a GPU that my PC can’t run at its %100 capacity.

Another question... As you know, some of the PC games emphasis on CPU and GPU in a balanced amount but some other games emphasis more on GPU and less on CPU. So, considering this second type of games, is it something logical to put a GPU in a PC which the general system can not always work its %100 capacity?

Thanks

Intel_man

VIP Member
when you refer to calculation site... do you mean Gamers Nexus? Because Steve Burke's one of the most reliable sources when it comes to performance testing metrics.

beers

Staff member
There's plenty of youtube videos if you just search whatever combo and game. Like I put in '6600k 970 vs 1070' and you still get matches like the one below. Then you can decide if that performance target works or of a certain game would benefit more from upgrading the rest of your system, or overlay other stats from the video card on faster CPUs to see how much the i5 is hampering you.

From the Steve Burke video it looks like even dropping in a 6700k would net you a hefty gain, albeit their card was much faster.