What is the deal with my computer

random_dude

So a few weeks ago I upgraded my ram and hard drive. Since then Its seems as tho I can't use my computer for more than half an hour or so at a time before it randomly turns off and starts beeping. The only way I can get the beeping to stop it when I turn it off the wall. After doing some research its looks as tho that it could possibly be the power supply or fan that cannot keep up with the demands of my new hardware. But what I would like to know more specifically which of of the 2 it could be? I'm on a limited budget so cannot afford to upgrade both. If any of you need more info I'll be happy to give it to you. Thanks :)

Last edited:

ghost

I would have thought if it was the RAM the computer would not work at all, though this still don't mean it isn't the RAM. I would have a stab at the PSU being faulty or not having enough juice to keep the PC fully functioning. Whats are the PC specs exactly?

Do you still have your old RAM? If so I would put that back in and run the PC for a while to see if the problem still occurs, if it does that indicates it could be a PSU problem. If not a RAM problem.

Also whats the wattage of the PSU?

Last edited:

Bronson7

Have you checked your voltages in the bios? A more accurate way is to back probe the 20/24 connector with a vom but that's a bit daunting for some folks. Also, have you run MEMTEST86?
Bronson7

spearball

banned
I'm really sure it's your psu and not the ram. Most continuous beep code mean you got a faulty psu. But it's always good to check your ram in case......

JLV2k5

As an above post stated, faulty RAM usually consists of no operation whatsoever. PSU may not be able to keep up with the new components.