What is the difference between...

Sebouh

What is the difference betweeen a 266, 333 and 400 hz ram. Does it have a big effect , specially in gaming?

Thanks.

kof2000

yes it does, and yes it does also affect the FSB and depend if ur MB will take the type of ram.

Sebouh

can i put besides a 266hz a 333hz? Since i am trying to by a 512 mb ram, and i have a 256 with 266hz , so what would be better to have 512mb ram with 333hz or 768mb with 266 hz?

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
can i put besides a 266hz a 333hz? Since i am trying to by a 512 mb ram, and i have a 256 with 266hz , so what would be better to have 512mb ram with 333hz or 768mb with 266 hz?

You can put a 333mhz beside a 266, but that just all depends if your mobo accepts 333mhz RAM, I know for a fact mine doesn't because I have a 256 pc2700 333mhz RAM in my computer and it downcloced it to 266mhz 2100 because it doesn't accept 333mhz :mad:

and having plain and simple 512mb 333mhz would be fine, but if you just wanted more RAM if your using heaps of programs, then 768mb 266mhz will handle that fine, :)

Sebouh

well i have an intel mobo D865GBF with 513mhz bus speed so it can accept 333mhz max. but if i put 266 with 333 what will the virtual memory speed be?
plus if i speed my fsb wont the memory speed increase?

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Sebouh said:
but if i put 266 with 333 what will the virtual memory speed be?
plus if i speed my fsb wont the memory speed increase?

well first they have to be able to mix. if the RAM chips dont mind eachother then your ok. some brands just dont mix dunnno why. if you mix PC333 and PC266 then you must run them both at 266MHz UNLESS you can overclock the 266 to 333...which is no guarantee. plus you would have to overvolt the 333mhz ram just to overclock the 266. basically just run it slower or ditch the 266 and buy all smae speed ram. if you up your fsb your memory will also increase, but this is where you ask your self "how much will it increase?" there are ratios like 1:1 (fsb=memory speed) or 5:4 (do the math) or 3:2, some mobos do it in percentages (90%,80%, my older epox did it that way) or some do it like 1:1, 3:3, 6:6 (dont ask why, i have no idea..there all the same) correct me if im wrong about any of this...i might be.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Sebouh said:
well does increasing the fsb have a harm?

...well yes and no. it COULD potentially get VERY hot and fry. but if you have decent cooling and know how much Voltage to give it then no, no physical harm. it should make your computer faster by bumping it up. just watch the temps and make sure its stable.

Sebouh

So what program do i use to increase the RAM speed, and how do i control the temp?
Thanks.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Sebouh said:
So what program do i use to increase the RAM speed, and how do i control the temp?
Thanks.

you dont use a program. you have to do it manually. when you boot up you might see a screen that says "Bios" or somethng like "phoenix award BIOS" or something. you need to hit the "Del" hey or whatever key your computer uses to enter BIOS and change it from there. i wouldnt suggest doing it until you research overclocking a little buit more though. if you mess up your computer will not boot back up and you'll need to clear CMOS and all hat nice stuff. you control the temperatures by a)getting a nice big copper/aluminum heatsink and a fan on the NB/CPU. its best to cool both actively. you can get heatspreaders for your RAM if your giving them like 3.2V or more. b) you could open your case and put a room fan on it...thats only if your getting into 50C or more though.

Sebouh

thanks. But isnt it better to get 512 ram with 400mhz rather then 226 and use it by downclocking it? Cause i may use it in the future with new motherboards.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What is the difference betweeen a 266, 333 and 400 hz ram. Does it have a big effect , specially in gaming?
1. Memory comes in 133Mhz, 166Mhz and 400Mhz -- the 266, 333 and 400 are the DDR-ized values
2. It makes a difference :)

can I put besides a 266hz a 333hz?
Depends on the motherboard. Some really good mobos dont let you do that.

Since I am trying to by a 512 mb ram, and I have a 256 with 266hz , so what would be better to have 512mb ram with 333hz or 768mb with 266 hz?
Depends on the mobo -- and its MHz -- not hz.

well I have an intel mobo D865GBF with 513mhz bus speed
If you have that mobo running 513 then something is wrong -- it's supposed to be 533 :) In the case of that specific mobo you should be ok

what will the virtual memory speed be?
Very slow. Several hundred (maybe thousand) times slower.

well does increasing the fsb have a harm?
Only if you screw up or the system screws up :)

So what program do I use to increase the RAM speed, and how do I control the temp?
You dont use programs (and you shouldnt because 'programs' tend to make things feel 'safe' and people get careless). You OC in the BIOS. Temperature is 'controlled' via heatspreaders and active memory coolers

you dont use a program. you have to do it manually
Technically u could (although its not reccomended)

thanks. But isnt it better to get 512 ram with 400mhz rather then 226 and use it by downclocking it? Cause I may use it in the future with new motherboards.
Define "future" -- if "future" = "long time" then get the cheaper stuff as the future wont be using DDR :)