What is the Future of AMD Dual-Core processor technology?

2048Megabytes

Is Advanced Micro Devices going to push Dual-Core processor technology any further than the Athlon 6400+ model? Or are all higher end processors now going to be the Phenom Tri-Core and Quad-Core models?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I heard that 6500+, a 65nm Phenom-based part is being released soon. Also, AFAIK halfway through next year there are 45nm Dual-Core Phenom II-based Athlons being released.

EDIT: Also, yes, the high-end will only consist of Phenom (2) tri- and quad-cores. Athlon brand name will be relegated to the mainstream/budget markets; there are low-end Athlon quads and tri-cores based on Phenom II with most of the L3 disabled coming out as well. Dual-Cores will all be branded Athlon, AFAIK there will be no dual-core Phenoms (though the architecture is still largely the same).

ANOTHER EDIT: Not sure about this, but they may be continuing the Sempron brand with some low-end dual-cores as well.

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
What is the Future of AMD Dual-Core processor technology?

...A slow painful death?:p

I still find it amazing they were able to basically "give up" their hold on the market that they had several years ago. Granted they're still kicking, but nothing like their glory days.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'm surprised we don't see more tri-cores out there. AMD could (conceivably) re-niche themselves. Realistically though, who knows.

pbdr

...A slow painful death?:p

I still find it amazing they were able to basically "give up" their hold on the market that they had several years ago. Granted they're still kicking, but nothing like their glory days.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'm surprised we don't see more tri-cores out there. AMD could (conceivably) re-niche themselves. Realistically though, who knows.

Not to be a douche fanboy or whatnot (and you can see my most recent CPU choice in the sig), but having a serious competitor in the market is the only thing that will keep Intel honest. Without some actual competition, they can basically stop doing serious R&D and charge whatever they want for whatever they sell.

Not to be a copout here, but I think AMD is doing a pretty good job keeping Intel honest; especially considering Intel's R&D budget is probably larger than AMD sales....

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Give up? What happened?

2048Megabytes

Supposed to be releasing an Athlon X2 7550 2.5 and a 7750 Black 2.7

Thanks for the good information StrangleHold. The Athlon 7750 looks like it's going to be decent. It is a 95 Watt processor and has 1 megabyte of Level 2 cache and 2 megabytes of Level 3 cache. According to one website it has marks that are a little bit better than the Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 processor:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=363093

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Give up? What happened?

Not in the literal sense. Years ago, they gave Intel a fairly decent run for their money, and with a few situations, far-surpassed Intel. Intel chose to keep up with the times and design new technologies, AMD chose to play it safe and basically stick with what they knew worked. It was a gamble for them, and they basically handed Intel the vast majority of market share (far more than what Intel already had) and have been playing catch-up ever since.