what is the most basic machine code commands?

Joshua Brown

01101001 01100011 01110101 01110000

I mean, technically, "0". Machine code is the most basic, fundamental language of computers. 0 = off, and 1 = on. Or maybe that's backwards...

I don't know how it all works well enough for an explanation, but I will say that everything which makes a computer function is represented by 0's (turning something off) and 1's (turning something on).

This video
demonstrates how machine language works while machine code is being programmed, which helped me to get a better understanding. Hope this helps!

Joshua Brown

Actually...I don't know if that was the video. Matthew Flaschen over at StackOverflow had this to say on whether or not one could (or should) program in binary:

"Of course. It's more commonly called machine code. It's basically assembly language without the mnemonic devices. Someone who knows assembly very well could program in machine code with additional effort, referring to opcode listings (e.g. x86) as needed.

Would I do it? No. Even assembly is only useful in rare circumstances, and there's no reason (beside demonstrating your skills) to reject the assembler's help."

So essentially, it IS possible. But it's incredibly tedious.