What is the possible reason for my faulty PC?

Cisco001

I've got a PC which no longer boot to BIOS.

I took it to my friend's house and borrow his PSU, it manage to load to Windows.

We then just assume it is the PSU.

The PSU is now send back to retailer, but their technician saying no fault found??

What is the other possible reason for the fault? Motherboard?

_Pete_

It could be an intermittant fault in the PSU. Very difficult to pin down especially after a, possibly, bumpy drive back to the technician. Botton line I would have thought is that if it doesn't work and then you replace a part and it does work then it would normally be that part.

beers

Staff member
I've seen some vendors come back with that. We had a Nexus 7010 that had a failed 6,000w PSU with a huge POP in the data center and wouldn't power up anything. Cisco indicated "No trouble found, boss" after trying to RMA it.

Since you replaced the PSU and resolved the issue I'd indicate that. He may have just used one of those power supply testers that only checks voltage, if the PSU was unable to provide sufficient amperage it'd "test okay" but still be unusable.

Darren

Staff member
I'd be inclined to think PSU still, maybe see if a local shop will hook one up and let you test boot on the pretext of buying a new one from them.

Cisco001

One reason is that PSU is in the last month of warranty, so I rushed to send it through without double check.
I won't be happy if they send me back the PSU and it is still faulty...

mistersprinkles

Could be a whole bunch of different things, including a bad PSU or even bad wiring in your home.

Without more information on EXACTLY what behavior the machine was exhibiting and what troubleshooting you have tried it is hard to pin down what is wrong.