What is the standard size of screws used for mounting HDDs and SSDs?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I just installed a new SSD in my PC, but since the drive bays of my case have rubber grommets around the screw holes, it needs screws that are long enough to go all the way through the grommet and then screw into the hole (along with a flat top so as not to sink into the grommet).

The new SSD only came with standard screws that don't work, so I just used my existing screws and removed the older HDD. But I'd like to reinstall it eventually and use it as backup storage.

Does anyone know what kinds of screws I need to look for? I'm sure it's just a standard size for typical hard drive mounting, but it needs to be a bit longer than normal. Here is a picture of the kind of screw I need (which came with the case all those years ago) and the kind of screw the new SSD came with, which is too short. It would be nice to find ones with the big, flat head, but I suppose a washer would work just the same.

Thanks!

Attachments

• p182_screw.jpg
    p182_screw.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 0

beers

Staff member
There's usually two sizes leveraged if you don't count the nvme retention screw or ones for fans.
Most screws in a computer are UTS 6-32 screws. 6-32 screws are used for your power supply, 3.5" hard drives, securing expansion cards, and the case panels. The other common screw type is the metric M3-0.50 screw, which are used for mounting optical drives, floppy drives, and the motherboard.