What is wrong with DELL?

KevytheGreat

This is my first post here, so excuse me if I seem a little newbish.

I hear good things, I hear bad things. They say DELL is really shitty, but then I hear they are actually really better than other computer brands like Gateway or HP?

I am looking to buy a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop but I am optimistic considering all the horror stories I hear.

Any advise would be very helpful.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I used a few of their Laptops when I worked at a hospital over the summer and they were all pretty nice. I must say they seemed much better than their desktops. Though I worked with many more desktops, the ratio of hardware failures/problems was much higher with them than laptops. They did seem to be fairly high quality and what not as well. My only complaint would be heat, but this is a problem with most any laptop today.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Just about any Dell, HP, Compaq or Toshiba laptop should be a good choice. Out of those 4, Toshiba would be the best. As far as the heat issue is concerned, the P4 laptops are pretty bad, but the AMD's are better (don't put out as much heat). Most of the problems that I have with Dell is that most of their parts are going proprietary, and the printers they sell are really Lexmark specially modified so that it will only take their ink. (unless you can get remanufactured ones...)

Meng

Did you hear the news a couple of weeks ago about dell laptop batterys were wrongly made or malfunctioned and exploded>? crazy ey?! i'm a proud owner of a Dell Insprion 9300, Dell is a very good laptop brand, but i'm not the expert in this. just my POV

Meng

Nightrain

that was more than just a few weeks ago. that was like the beginning to middle of the summer. if ur using a dell laptop or an apple or whomever else it is now u should prob check to see if ur laptop battery was one of the ones with the recall. if u google it u should get the site that tells which batteries are affected...free replacement so why not

Archangel

VIP Member
Dell is mainly considered bad, because of the lack of upgrade options.
Their Laptops are quite good tbh,.. i just dont really like their desktops, and i think thats how many people think about Dell

Lamilia

My brother has a dell laptop and it won't charge properly. I wouldn't reccomend dell to anyone.

cuffless

my dad has a dell laptop and its working fine. he has had it since january and the battery still keeps its charge. its also never had any overheating problems due to the fact its a celeron m

tlarkin

VIP Member
if you buy HP buy their business class its worth the few extra $$

Dell just had a bad year this year with a huge recall and some non competitive prices.

I priced out a Mac Pro Desktop (which is usually insane expensive) Versus a Dell with the exact same specs (crestwood xeons) and the apple was just over $300.00 cheaper.

So, dell has also lost their pricing edge. Overall, they are not bad systems but I wouldn't hold them over other computers as being a lot better.

Alexc

why get a dell

Just about any Dell, HP, Compaq or Toshiba laptop should be a good choice. Out of those 4, Toshiba would be the best. As far as the heat issue is concerned, the P4 laptops are pretty bad, but the AMD's are better (don't put out as much heat). Most of the problems that I have with Dell is that most of their parts are going proprietary, and the printers they sell are really Lexmark specially modified so that it will only take their ink. (unless you can get remanufactured ones...)

I have an older Toshiba with a Centrino and its very good with heat. And the problem that person had with it not charging isn't the laptop but the battery. My thing with Dell is why buy one. Most people buy them because there enrty level B130 are very cheap. But, if you need a cheap laptop compaqs are cheaper. If you need a very nice laptop I would go with a Sony or IBM. It all bepends on what your looking for I guess.

Dropkickmurphys

i dont think there are many issues with Dell Laptops, i think its mainly their desktops that have the issues.
i have heard lots of stories about people having problems with Dell Desktops, including myself multiple times, but i have never heard of ANY problems with the laptops, in fact the only problem i have heard of is the battery thing....

tlarkin

VIP Member
i dont think there are many issues with Dell Laptops, i think its mainly their desktops that have the issues.
i have heard lots of stories about people having problems with Dell Desktops, including myself multiple times, but i have never heard of ANY problems with the laptops, in fact the only problem i have heard of is the battery thing....

considering they recalled over 4.7 million laptop batteries this year.....I would say that was a problem with their laptops. The batteries actually caught on fire and in some cases exploded.

Dropkickmurphys

considering they recalled over 4.7 million laptop batteries this year.....I would say that was a problem with their laptops. The batteries actually caught on fire and in some cases exploded.

Wow lol, i didn't know it was that serious. Looks like Dell Strike Again :p

JFHuff

thats not a problem with there laptops. Actually read the article. Apple dell and toshiba all recalled there batteries made by sony. Sony sold them bad batteries and the batteries are being replaced by sony through dell apple and toshiba. Personally i hate there desktops...bad experiences but there laptops are pretty good. use them at work and just bought one myself so well see.

tlarkin

VIP Member
thats not a problem with there laptops. Actually read the article. Apple dell and toshiba all recalled there batteries made by sony. Sony sold them bad batteries and the batteries are being replaced by sony through dell apple and toshiba. Personally i hate there desktops...bad experiences but there laptops are pretty good. use them at work and just bought one myself so well see.

Actually, if you read further into it, sony doesnt make the batteries, they make the parts for them. Another company actually developed the batteries. Reguardless of whom is to blame for the bad design of the battery it still effected 4.7 million dell laptops. Dell has a liability for quality control no matter who makes the battery.

Jet

VIP Member
If I bought a laptop, I would buy a Dell, but as far as Dell's desktops are concerned, you can get much more by just building one yourself.

JFHuff

Actually, if you read further into it, sony doesnt make the batteries, they make the parts for them. Another company actually developed the batteries. Reguardless of whom is to blame for the bad design of the battery it still effected 4.7 million dell laptops. Dell has a liability for quality control no matter who makes the battery.

and the same is true for apple and toshiba who both had to recal batteries recently as well. The only reason dell had a higher number is bc more people buy dell laptops. Trust me im not a dell advocate. Look at my other posts. I personally hate there desktops. i went for a dell laptop bc they are definently better quality than there desktops and most other companies laptops.

And by replacing the laptop batteries there admitting there liable and replacing it for free. Same with toshiba and apple.

SirKenin

banned
Absolutely nothing is wrong with Dell. Don't listen to the naysayers. Every Dell I have ever worked on has been excellent. Very well built. There is a reason that in 2001 Dell surpassed IBM as the no. 1 computer company in the world. You don't achieve that status by building shitty computers. They completely dominate the corporate sector. There's probably a Dell in every other home. My wife had a Dell and it worked great. My friend has a Dell and the thing would smoke half the systems in here, no problems.

Dell makes an excellent computer. Their laptops aren't made by them though. Dell only stamps their name on them. They are a tad bulky and sometimes even a wee bit ugly, but they are good craptops.