What is wrong with DELL?

JFHuff

no. 1 computer company in the world.

Im not denying they were great. I belive they were great when they reached the number one spot. But i also believe that they have been slacking recently. I have 2 desktops from them. The first one is 2-3 years old. Works great. Runs extreamly fast even though its a few years old. My second one came with many flaws. Operating system was messed up. After numerous tech support calls finally got them to ship me the reinstal cd (since the system restore wouldnt work...not my error bc they even tried to walk me through it and it didnt work). Then the memory was bad and they refused to replace it even though i had the warranty. Ended up just going and buying my own. Runs great now after another $80 spent i shouldnt have had to.

But you see the same thing happen everywhere. The company in control after a while gets comfortable in there position and tests to see what they can and cant get away with. For example dropping certain services to save money. They think "hey since were number one lets see how we can make more money out of this." And noone can deny that companies try to get more money no matter what.

I say that competition keeps the companies working there best for the consumer and right now dell unfortunantly dosent have much competition since most consumers buy there stuff bc its such a big name bc dell does a lot of advertising.

SirKenin

banned
Replace every "Dell" that you said in that post with any manufacturer. Any of them. And the same statements will hold true.

JFHuff

Replace every "Dell" that you said in that post with any manufacturer. Any of them. And the same statements will hold true.

And thats what i said. In that paragraph i said any company works that way. I was pointing out that dell is starting to do that since theyve been in the number one spot for a while and all i think they need is a little competition to knock them back on track to be a better consumer friendly company.

SirKenin

banned
And what I am saying is that does not make Dell a shitty manufacturer. Any more than any other. The end result? All things taken into consideration...there's nothing wrong with Dell.

JFHuff

And what I am saying is that does not make Dell a shitty manufacturer. Any more than any other. The end result? All things taken into consideration...there's nothing wrong with Dell.

Thats where theres a problem in your logic. Not every other company is number one now are they so they have no reason to comfortable unless they like being in a lower spot. The lower comapnies usually work thr hardest to gain support. I never said dell is a shitty company. I just said that they are starting to get to comfortable and need some competition. Obviously i dont hate them to much if i just bought a laptop from them. I also find it more efficiant to build my own pc.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I'm proud to say we don't own a single Dell, out of about 9 computers I think it is :p But we don't own an Alienware either, or a Toshiba, etc. etc. etc. So...a mute point. MY dad likes HP/Compaq and IBM, my mom could care less, I like custom or w/e brand that currently has the best performance for my dollar (hence, my Compaq). Of course that changes from day to day.

There may be a reason every computer on this campus (at least 500, maybe close to 1000) is a Dell. I'm on one right now in the Open Lab. There are...[counting]...76 Dells in this lab right now. At least one in every classroom, countless other private labs and open labs. It's amazing.

Burgerbob

I'm proud to say we don't own a single Dell, out of about 9 computers I think it is :p But we don't own an Alienware either, or a Toshiba, etc. etc. etc. So...a mute point. MY dad likes HP/Compaq and IBM, my mom could care less, I like custom or w/e brand that currently has the best performance for my dollar (hence, my Compaq). Of course that changes from day to day.

There may be a reason every computer on this campus (at least 500, maybe close to 1000) is a Dell. I'm on one right now in the Open Lab. There are...[counting]...76 Dells in this lab right now. At least one in every classroom, countless other private labs and open labs. It's amazing.
Every computer in my school district is a Dell. And they dont work very well. All the teachers have Dimensions with P4 1.8s and 512 RAM, and i wont even go into the student computers.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Our student computers are...[installs CPU-Z]

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood)
Samsung 512MB PC800 RDRAM (400MHz, 4:3 ratio)
32MB Quadro2 EX graphics

They're pretty cool I guess, they run fine for me. The best part is you can run anything on them, install anything, hell I can torrent from here if they don't watch me. As free as my PC at home. When you reboot them, it just erases everything you did and pulls the generic profile data off the mainframe and resets everything. The onyl thing you can "keep" is whats saved on your users network drive, so I keep my instant messenger client on there so i can jsut install it everytime i login.

m0nk3ys1ms

Dell makes good computers. I've never had a problem with any I've ever used. They may not look great to those who build their own, but for someone looking for a computer for everyday tasks, they are great.

ChickenWing

Absolutely nothing is wrong with Dell. Don't listen to the naysayers. Every Dell I have ever worked on has been excellent. Very well built. There is a reason that in 2001 Dell surpassed IBM as the no. 1 computer company in the world. You don't achieve that status by building shitty computers. They completely dominate the corporate sector. There's probably a Dell in every other home. My wife had a Dell and it worked great. My friend has a Dell and the thing would smoke half the systems in here, no problems.

Dell makes an excellent computer. Their laptops aren't made by them though. Dell only stamps their name on them. They are a tad bulky and sometimes even a wee bit ugly, but they are good craptops.

No dell would smoke my computer :p Nor my crappier budget computer.I think i am the number one computer company in the world.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Dell is a good company for schools and other organizations that need a lot of cheap, fairly reliable computers that don't need a lot of power. You want a truly customized computer, and as with any other major manufacturer, you can't get it... :)

jljhlhl

I've only bought 1 Dell, and it was a desktop. It's my sister's computer, and I couldnt beat the value.

I'm pretty sure these are the specs, im not sure since I bought it a while ago.
Intel Celeron D 325 (2.53 GHz)
512MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive

Sure it's not a gaming machine, but it's all she needed, and I paid $350 Canadian, it came with free shipping, and a pair of speakers.

If I was to try and build my own, even the CHEAPEST motherboard, worst 512MB of RAM and the worst 80GB hard drive, I'd be paying more than that.

If you need a budget, budget computer, Dell makes it pretty affordable.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Yup, same with my mom's Gateway. It was a refurb and it has pretty decent specs. More than enough for surfing, watching DVD's, e-mails and doing the bills on. All for about $350USD I think.

tlarkin

VIP Member
at my work HP/Compaq business class machines won the bid over Dell. We have a couple of random dells in the school district I work for but not really. I have probably at least 6000ish HP business class machines. I am also HP certified (enterprise level) which means I personally do every single warranty repair on the machines.

I can tell you now, that the HP business class machines are well built, come with a three year standard warranty (desktops only), have complete module parts and even replacement motherboards come on sliding trays, the price is very competitive and their online warranty claims system is okay.

I would never buy a computer unless I got a killer deal on it for myself, I would just build my own. However, if I were to buy lets say several thousand comptuers for a company or orginization I would buy from HP or Dell or whomever. I don't want to build several thousand computers, make custom images for all the different builds and then deal with chaos of each individual manufacterer for warranty claims.

Dells, are definitely not bad, but as of lately in the past year or so they have kind of sucked compared to how they used to run.

xspwn

dell?

well, dell is just like any other generic pc maker....HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc.
however, if you're going for entertainment, sony vaios or toshiba qosmio (did i spell that right) are usually the best
gaming falls into alienware, voodoo, and dell's XPS
but if you just want something that works decently, go Toshiba
you MUST have heard about dell's battery recalls