What is your daily life like in IT?

Topcat26

What is your daily work life like working in IT?

Please tell me what your title is so I can get an idea about what I want to do. (Right now looking at network technician so if you are doing that or know a lot of about it please don't be afraid to share)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm a network admin and work for an MSP (managed service provider). My day consists of killing tickets all day, every day. I do everything from a simple password reset, to restoring files from a Datto backup, to doing workstation rebuilds, etc. Anything and everything.

So when you go looking for a job, get a job at an MSP because you'll get to touch loads of types of technology since every client has different needs.

beers

Staff member
I'm a network engineer with a growing electronic health care software vendor.

Currently my daily life is about 50% project work and 50% operations/tshoot. A lot of Cisco Nexus (data center), ASR (router), ASA (firewalls), ACI (SDN) as well as F5 work. We also deploy a lot of Meraki devices. Typically just providing connectivity into our cloud application whether it be dedicated MPLS circuits, VPN connectivity, building out new hosted environments or helping a client with their own network performance problems that impact our application. I've been trying to find a role that blends wireless, voice and security.

What do you like to do or what interests you?

Topcat26

I'm a network engineer with a growing electronic health care software vendor.

Currently my daily life is about 50% project work and 50% operations/tshoot. A lot of Cisco Nexus (data center), ASR (router), ASA (firewalls), ACI (SDN) as well as F5 work. We also deploy a lot of Meraki devices. Typically just providing connectivity into our cloud application whether it be dedicated MPLS circuits, VPN connectivity, building out new hosted environments or helping a client with their own network performance problems that impact our application. I've been trying to find a role that blends wireless, voice and security.

What do you like to do or what interests you?
Sorry for the late reply I had a busy week.

I mostly like hands on work, what interested me about network technicians was (According to my school website and my advisor) is that they arnt in front of a computer typing all day like programmers, from what I was told they go and install switches, routers, and install cable. Is any of this true for a network tech?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply I had a busy week.

I mostly like hands on work, what interested me about network technicians was (According to my school website and my advisor) is that they arnt in front of a computer typing all day like programmers, from what I was told they go and install switches, routers, and install cable. Is any of this true for a network tech?
Depends on if you're an installation monkey or not. It's not all installing stuff all day every day.

beers

Staff member
Is any of this true for a network tech?
Depends on the network tech. Some orgs will be very hands on, some orgs will be very remote. My role has me racking crap in the DC on a vague occasion (maybe once every 6 months), shipping out client routers (maybe once every 2-3 months) or Meraki devices (1-2/week). Otherwise I don't touch any equipment.

Some jobs focus exclusively on Layer 1, some jobs exclusively focus on WAN or LAN, there's a lot of factors and it depends a lot too on what the organization does as far as how you support building a network for them.

strollin

I'm a developer. I sit at a computer all day writing specifications, documentation, flowcharts, coding, etc... To me, that is all hands on. I don't mess with hardware at all in my job (though I'm perfectly capable).