What kinds of surge protectors/APC's do you guys use?

The VCR King

Where I live in ohio, I get a lot of storms and during storms and even light rain, all my lights will flicker lightly or my electric will go out then instantly come back on... the electric in my neighborhood isnt exactly great and I know it's not doing my PC any good (not that it has enough issues anyways :rolleyes:). Right now I have it on a Belkin Surgemaster power strip but I know that isn't enough.

What kind of APC's do you guys run on here? Isn't an APC basically just a huge power inverter?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Isn't an APC basically just a huge power inverter?
No. APC is a brand of UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply, also known as a battery-backup).

A UPS can definitely help with power surges and brown-outs, and provide equipment with more constant and clean power. Battery time is dependent on how much money you spend and how long you want the system to run on battery.

I have a generic APC Smart UPS, but it's only connected to my server so that my VM's don't all just go pooey when the power goes out. I get about 5-8 minutes of run time on battery with it, so it gives me time to log into the host and shut down all the VM's.

The VCR King

No. APC is a brand of UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply, also known as a battery-backup).

A UPS can definitely help with power surges and brown-outs, and provide equipment with more constant and clean power. Battery time is dependent on how much money you spend and how long you want the system to run on battery.

I have a generic APC Smart UPS, but it's only connected to my server so that my VM's don't all just go pooey when the power goes out. I get about 5-8 minutes of run time on battery with it, so it gives me time to log into the host and shut down all the VM's.
Oh okay. I thought they were called APCs. My grandpa used to work for a local school district and he has all sorts of old computer crap he's gotten from them. He has at least 20 of the old beige APC's laying around in his garage. Are the batteries in those replacable, because if they are, I might ask Grandpa if I can snatch one of those for myself...

beers

Staff member
No problem. Would it still be okay if I used a "beige brick" until I got a good newer one or would it be better to just not use one at all?
Depending on the PSU and it having Active PFC, you might see issues when it flips onto battery if it's not a 'pure sine' type of unit.

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't bother replacing the batteries in that 20 year old unit, just get a new UPS.

We picked up two new Schneider Electric UPS racks such as these:

Datacenter-SAP-France.jpg

beers

Staff member

Okedokey

Yeah, there is no way in the world that power factor control is an issue in ones home PC. Even with the small AC to DC rectification, the problem is almost nonexistent unless you have a seriously cheap PSU and the switch time is very slow.