What makes Mac better?

Bobby Triton

I'm newer to operating systems. I've heard that Macs are supposed to be the Cadillac of computers. Is this an actual fact? What makes them better? Thanks. :good:

Drenlin

This is about to get ugly...

Here's my take on it, but opinions will differ here.

As far as the OS goes, windows is a bit more customizable and configurable, while OS/X is a bit lighter. Neither makes a huge difference.

As far as actually doing things, it's all personal preference. You can do just about anything on either system, though Windows has more software and games for it for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
OS X is basically a glorified Linux. To be honest, I wouldn't get a Mac just for OS X. While it's good, I see really no advantages to using it over Windows. Performance of equal programs (like Photoshop for Windows and Mac) typically performs better on PC.

Then, years ago, the reason to get the Mac was because of the hardware. Macs used to have the PowerPC/G4/G5 processors that were supposed to trump any PC. As I'm sure you know, they have now switched over to standard Intel based hardware, so no advantage there.

Build quality is very nice. My mother got one to use at school so I got a lot of first hand experience with it. I will say it's build very well, compact, etc etc... HOWEVER, it was a new computer, barely used and the motherboard has already been replaced once and the battery won't hold a charge. Among hers, I know of others who had bad luck with their machines.

I'm sure people will argue to the grave how much better Macs are than PC. Above is just my opinion and problems/facts I've encountered over the years. Take what you want from it :p

lubo4444

OS X is basically a glorified Linux. To be honest, I wouldn't get a Mac just for OS X. While it's good, I see really no advantages to using it over Windows. Performance of equal programs (like Photoshop for Windows and Mac) typically performs better on PC.

Then, years ago, the reason to get the Mac was because of the hardware. Macs used to have the PowerPC/G4/G5 processors that were supposed to trump any PC. As I'm sure you know, they have now switched over to standard Intel based hardware, so no advantage there.

Build quality is very nice. My mother got one to use at school so I got a lot of first hand experience with it. I will say it's build very well, compact, etc etc... HOWEVER, it was a new computer, barely used and the motherboard has already been replaced once and the battery won't hold a charge. Among hers, I know of others who had bad luck with their machines.

I'm sure people will argue to the grave how much better Macs are than PC. Above is just my opinion and problems/facts I've encountered over the years. Take what you want from it :p

+1. I support that too. I really like it overall but they are so limited on programs for their OS. Which i really hate. I prefer just the regular pc with Windows installed as a OS. :)

raoul_1101

+1 again. The OS is beautiful and tends to flow really well. However, when it comes to software, there is a much better variety on a PC with much more customization available.
And don't assume Macs are invincible due to that hip young guy on their commercials. They break too.

Jet

VIP Member
I was amazed at the amount of quality freeware available for Mac.

Build quality is amazing--if you're looking for a laptop, seriously consider a Macbook/Macbook Pro with the large multi-touch track pad. It is outstanding!

Desktops usually are better with Windows--mainly because it's much harder to build your own computer with OSX.

tremmor

Never had nothing against it. But did also know about the graphic feature and capability of it. On the other hand i would rather stay with most buy for compatibility reasons. But do like it.

ganzey

banned
think of it this way

mac-pc-motorcycle-777073.jpg

MacBook

banned
Basically, Mac's just... work. There are no needing to install drivers to get things working (except for other non-Apple devices), I much prefer their user and application folder layout, you can simply copy a program from that folder to another laptop and they will work. If you want to move from one computer to another, just copy their user folder and everything will be moved over as well.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I've had next to no experience in using one, but they look pretty good. The price just puts me off... I got my Studio 17 for ~AU$1150, a 13" MacBook would've cost around $1400 IIRC (which I probably don't, but it was more expensive nonetheless).

Twist86

Nothing makes it better. Macs are only better if don't like to mess with stuff. You plug it in and all the anti-stupid features are ready for you. You can still get viruses (yes Macs crash and get hacked too) though the odds are lower because Macs are like 5% of the market...its like robbing a store vs a armored car....why bother with the smaller job?

It falls down to preference.

gamblingman

VIP Member
mac

Do you want/need to be trendy and cool at the coffee house? Buy a mac

Or do you want to be able to buy software that will work on your computer without having to use free software online or programs like Wine? Buy a PC

Want to play a game on your computer..... other than curveball? Buy a PC

Do you want to find lots of support for your computer online? Buy a PC

Is money is important in the decision? Buy a PC

Do you trust Steve Jobs? A guy that thinks computer progress is making a computer that looks like a big version of a phone!

Is there any reason to buy a MAC other than the looks?

ganzey

banned
Yes, the simplicity and better built OS. No registry to mess with, very simply to add/remove/copy programs.

i would say windows is easier. installing programs is a breeze, just press next, next ,next, finish. and with windows 7 automatically downloading drivers for whatever you plug into it, well, that just makes it pretty darn simple:p

like stated above, mac is just glorified linux, with a huge price tag.

I was being sarcastic. I cant stand MAC's.

+1, they may look good, but so does the HP envy

HP-Envy-15.jpg

gamblingman

VIP Member
i would say windows is easier. installing programs is a breeze, just press next, next ,next, finish. and with windows 7 automatically downloading drivers for whatever you plug into it, well, that just makes it pretty darn simple:p

like stated above, mac is just glorified linux, with a huge price tag.

+1, they may look good, but so does the HP envy

HP-Envy-15.jpg
Oh you know it! My fiancee pulled me over to the laptop section the other day so she could show me that model (She wants one for the graphics ability, her favorite game is Fallout 3. God she's great to have around!!!). I LOVE the keyboard, its got a great feel and look.

TFT

VIP Member
It ain't better really, just different with inflated prices.
Usually Mac owning people are those who failed to climb the social ladder and it's the nearest thing they can get to snobbery.:p

Last edited: