What makes Macs better, really?

wotnartd

This is a question I've had for a really long time, what makes them so much better? People claim that they can do so much, but I've never seen them do anything a Windows machine can't do.

So, really, what makes Macs so great?

Grimulus

it's a matter of preference. everything in the computer world for the most part if just a matter of preference. Mac users generally claim their macs are better because they want to some how differentiate from the norm. know what i mean? like my friend who bought an G4 notebook because he didn't want a normal laptop. while i agree they are good machines(the G4's) people like to have 'em and say their better to be different a lot of the time. :)

I personally don't think they are "better". They are highly overpriced I believe.

Lax

VIP Member
Macs are good for hardcore video editing so many people have told me. As for everything else they pretty much blow. They can't play games very well and they lack in general ease of use (IMO). As for the overpriceedness that is true also, for the same price a G4(desktop) costs you could get yourself a pretty bitchin' AMD (yes I'm migrating over).

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I work on Macs too a couple of hours per week, but I hate every minute of it...
At the beginning I was wondering why a book made on the Mac version of QuarkXPress has so many files (sometimes only 2 pages in a file), but soon discovered that if a file has a lot of pictures in it, after viewing a couple of pages of it the "Not enough memory to accurately display picture" message appears instead of the previews. And only a system restart solves this problem (for a while). The PC version of QuarkXPress had that problem with Win3.11, but never on Win95 or later.
And the Mac-keyboard is a real pain in the fingers: for example, the home/end keys will take you at the beginning/end of the document (which is a very very rarely used thing to do while working on a document), and if you want to jump at the beginning/end of line (which I use more often), there's a quite odd key-combination for that: Option + Alt + cursor left/right.

I think those who say "Mac is better for DTP" never worked on PCs, so they have no clue how an ergonomic computer looks like... :p

wotnartd

I guess I should have included that the reason I brought this question up is that a local college uses Macs in its music department labs, and it raised hell for my friend that was doing work at home on a Windows machine. Even our local middle school band department has four G4s, garage band, and the whole synthesizer dealy going on. I was even asked to set them up, but refused money even, because they pissed away my money on these stupid machines! WTF!?

I just seriously don't get why so many people assume that Macs prevail over Windows in media applications.

Or am I seriously just an idiot?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
wotnartd said:
I just seriously don't get why so many people assume that Macs prevail over Windows in media applications.
I think it's laziness. A new Mac just wrapped out of the box can do anything multimedia, while a PC needs to be tuned up to do that. But after a few hours (more exactly minutes :) ) of tuning, a PC will perform much better than a Mac.

For more info on this subject see http://www.mac-sucks.com/ (that site looks funny, but contains serious stuff about Macs compared to PCs).

Last edited:

Echo_

the mac g5s are pretty sick... but imo most of america and the world should be using macs if theyre not gaming because it solves their number one complaint

No spyware/viruses

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently its quite difficult to get a virus on an unprotected Mac, there was recently a contest with $25000 reward for anyone who could write a virus to get on one of 2 unprotected Macs but the contest was recently cancelled.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Cromewell said:
Apparently its quite difficult to get a virus on an unprotected Mac, there was recently a contest with $25000 reward for anyone who could write a virus to get on one of 2 unprotected Macs but the contest was recently cancelled.
And how about my unprotected PC? I never had any antivirus and any virus on my computers from 1992 (when I bought my first 286).

Should I start a contest to see if someone could infect me? :)

Charlie7940

Wow...how do you manage that? I had this pc fired up for a day without an antivirus...and the popups were already coming in. I installed my dsl internet, left my pc on overnight, and woke up to see popup's all over.

It also wasn't smart on my part to install norton internet security AFTER internet...oh well, no real damage done :)

But seriously Lorand, I'm impressed seing how easy it is to get one ;)

Lorand said:
For more info on this subject see http://www.mac-sucks.com/ (that site looks funny, but contains serious stuff about Macs compared to PCs).

LOL that site has me ROFL but it does have some useful info... The funniest part is the quote on the main page... (they are random so refresh a lot).

"The single mouse button is great for people like me" - Steve Johnson Unemployed ROFL Hahaha

"The new i mac looks just like my girlfriend, it was love at first sight" - Steve Johnson Unemployed hahaha

"I was the quake 3 champion in my school. After we got mac I got good at Mine Sweeper" BURN!!!

There is another one but I am tired of typing and I burnt my left hand so now I have to touch type (but my wpm is still ~20:p)