What makes Macs better, really?

Now I'm dying of laughter... Thats also the biggest lie I have ever heard...

One night, I was writing a paper on it, when all of a sudden it went berserk, the screen started flashing, and the whole paper just disappeared.

How is that suppost to happen? If anyone can show me something that does that I will eat a sponge (or something).
... screen started flashing... hahaha loser...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Echo_ said:
dude there are no spyware or viruses on macs at least no one has gotten one before
Then what the hell ate my files in a prepress studio? There are only Macs there, and yes, that whole system got virused. And it wasn't a gentle virus (as most the PC-viruses are), it wiped clean the hdds...

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The only protection on my computer is a firewall...
unprotected also means no firewall. I couldn't even get my pre-blaster patch version of XP on the internet for 3 seconds before it tried to turn itself off.

jesbax

here are a couple of things about a mac. 1. MAc are not that populer and a little harder to upgrade. 2. The Mac OS is unix base. 3. you can overclock a mac(some sodiering is requered). 4.The mac OS is not the only OS that will run on mac. Linux will run on it with out the mac os(i have done it all ready to a mac). 4. Thier cpus are made by IBM and Motraola. 5. Lot of the PC ram, HDD, Opict drives will work with the mac.

raidedguy

There are a few reasons why some people think macs are better, every one of them stupider than the last
1) Lack of support means fewwer virus/hack attempts
2)Upgrading is easy, you just buy a new computer
3) and not even sure if its true, but they are better for video editing or at least more often at video making companies (not animating companies)
4) they look better, on the outside, but as any pc person knows, you can easily change a computers case... (also this one only aplies to newbs who dont know what a custom pc is)

Its kind of like the I-Pod, everybody says its better, but when it boils down to it, I can get a 40gb mp3 player with better organization for half the price of an ipod...
->There only better due to ignorance...<-

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'd never pay $499 for a machine with no floppy drive. >_<
Id never pay for a machine with a floppy drive. :D

I just seriously don't get why so many people assume that Macs prevail over Windows in media applications.
Because generally they do. x86 platforms are catching up however.

No spyware/viruses
LOL

Should I start a contest to see if someone could infect me?
Dont tempt me. :D

The only protection on my computer is a firewall...
Well there ya go :p My firewall, for the most part, negates the neccessity of having antivirus as well

3. you can overclock a mac(some sodiering is requered)
Not an advantage

4. Thier cpus are made by IBM and Motraola
Again not an advantage

5. Lot of the PC ram, HDD, Opict drives will work with the mac.
Sounds like catch-up

red onion

Dave Thomas, former chief of computer intrusion investigations at FBI headquarters, and current Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the St. Louis Division of the FBI has told the Scott Granneman of SecurityFocus, "that many of the computer security folks back at FBI HQ use Macs running OS X, since those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box. In the field, however, they don't have as much money to spend, so they have to stretch their dollars by buying WinTel-based hardware. Are you listening, Apple? The FBI wants to buy your stuff. Talk to them!"

Granneman reports, "Dave also had a great quotation for us: 'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.' Basically, police and government agencies know what to do with seized Windows machines. They can recover whatever information they want, with tools that they've used countless times. The same holds true, but to a lesser degree, for Unix-based machines. But Macs evidently stymie most law enforcement personnel. They just don't know how to recover data on them. So what do they do? By and large, law enforcement personnel in American end up sending impounded Macs needing data recovery to the acknowledged North American Mac experts: the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Evidently the Mounties have built up a knowledge and technique for Mac forensics that is second to none."
from macdailynews.com

Looks like there are some reasons for using a mac ;)

Last edited:

tomb08uk

I have heard that the reasons why Macs are surpose to be better is becasue they are not so hungry. As you could have a Mac and another normal based PC with same or similar components and the Mac would run better as they dont for some reason require so much. But im unsure about this comment and have never personally used a Mac.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
eh, well I've read bits and pieces here an there but admit that I did not read all what people had to say :). Let me share my personal opinion. First I wanted to comment on the guy that said there are no virus's on Macs, Your wrong! there are indeed virus's on macs as well as any PC loaded with your favorite flavor of Linux. There are however so little compared to Windows that you tend not to notice the reports of such viruses. With the way that the file system is set up on a Unix based system it's almost impossible for viruses to spread which is one reason for the lack of. Microsoft's tightly knitted product just begs for a viruses to spread.

Macs are overpriced underpowered machines. They are pretty and are great for Audio/Video editing right out of the box and do the job well. PC's do need a bit of setting up as already mentioned and are much better editing machines when set up properly. It was also mentioned that they are used by others just simply to be different and although I don't believe that to be true for all I definitely believe it to be true for some. A well built PC can do everything and more that a mac can do but for allot less money spent.

As for Lorands claim for not getting any viruses without virus protection... I have a friend (yea I really do) that has used his PC for nearly 2 years now and is online pretty much everyday and has not been infected once and only runs the Windows firewall and various spy ware removal tools. I do understand that it's easy to get a virus just by connecting to the Internet but lets face it, most people practically go looking for them :p.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Lord AnthraX said:
Macs are good for hardcore video editing so many people have told me.

As he stated, how are macs better at video editing then windows machines?

And i've also heard that mac's are better for image editing, but i still dont see what they can do that windows machines can. (Except not playing games, lol)

jesbax

Windows and macs are know evenly match now or better than each other(i don't care which one you think). But a few years back mac WAS the best computer for graphics. Windows has cought up with mac in the graphics area.