What megapixel do you shoot your photos in?

PHATSPEED7x

Do you shoot on the highest res, or do you shoot with a lower one? Does your memory card restrict you from taking alot of high res photos? Just wondering what people do with their cameras.

I got a Canon PowerShot A470 that can shot up to 7.1MP. With my 8GB SDHC card I can shot over 2500 pics on the highest res setting. But I can almost double it by shooting a 3MP shot. I know my sister shoots in 3MP all day long just because she only has a 1GB memory stick in her camera. My other friend shoots full res with 2GB SD card, and she ran out of room last night on her card. I had to borrow her one of my spare 1GB cards I keep in my camera bag.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I usually run mine around 5MP because I like to have a little room to play with if I want to crop the pictures, but also not so huge that it chews up the memory cards.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
I shoot full resolution, which is 10MP.
I also shoot in RAW + Jpeg. So on my 8 Gig card that gives me a little under 400 shots.

When I got out shooting that is normally enough room. If it isn't i have extra cards etc.

Geoff

VIP Member
I shoot in 15.1MP RAW format, which is around 25MB per image. I also use auto-exposure bracketing in some situations which takes 3 photos (one normal exposure, one underexposed, and one overexposed), so that really limits what I can take with my 8GB card. On RAW only I can get about 350 photos.

4NGU$

VIP Member
if the shit is very important to me i shoot in raw and jpg
but i apart from that i shoot in large smooth jpg all the time
I don't use CF card of more than 4gb ether too much risk of a greater loss if you go any high than that

Geoff

VIP Member
I never really found a need to shoot in RAW + JPG, I did several comparisons and probably about 99% of the time a photo looks better shot in RAW, tweak the photo slightly, and then save as a JPG. But for people who just want to shoot and not spend the time editing later, I'm sure it's fine for most uses.

speedyink

VIP Member
I always shoot at my full 8MP, but depending on what I'm taking a picture of I either take it in RAW or JPEG. I have an 8gb card so it takes quite a bit to fill it up (I use JPEG more than RAW, a habit I should get out of)

lawson_jl

I have a 7.1MP Cannon and shot at 7.1MP at all times. I have an 8GB SD card which gets me 4082 pictures at about 3MB each. Never filled the card yet.

TFT

VIP Member
I shoot at 8MP all the time and in JPEG. Reason for the 8MP is if I need to zoom in and crop the photo in software. Other than that I'm really a "point and shoot" person as most can tell by my entries in the comps. :D

patrickv

For the life of me i shoot at 2mp with a Sony Ericson phone :eek:
but my Olympus stylus (7mp) is with my bro most of the time

Calibretto

VIP Member
I shoot at full 8.0MP on the highest quality with my Canon SD1100. That gives me about 500 shots on my 2GB card.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I shoot full res at 12 MP:D I use a Cannon A650 IS...great point and shoot. I want to get a DLSR someday:(

I found a deal at MediaMarkt...they had 8GB Ultra High Speed SD cards for 9.99Euros! That's like $12 for one. I bought 4 of them:D

JosephC

I shoot in RAW on my d90. No JPG for me as I can convert that later in batches overnight. Seemed to work on my last trip (which was a month long) - I probably filled up around 16gb on my cards though (but that also included video).

On my point and shoot, I'm still shooting at the max resolution (7.2megapixels =~4MB/shot). I just find that it's easier to make any changes or adjustments if they're at the max size. If I want to print them, any minute adjustments that are made are barely noticeable (ie they don't look pixelated or anything). By no means am I a pro, so my edits are rudimentary at best.

jjsevdt

I have a D90 as well and just keep it at 12MP. I shoot in RAW and with my 16GB card I get a little over 1K.

Jet

VIP Member
I shoot in jpeg and at 8MP (my max). Honestly, I'd rather spend time shooting pictures than editing them--the only time I shoot in RAW (and then I shoot RAW + JPG) is when I am in a situation that I really need to get a shot.

If I had Photoshop, I might shoot in RAW more. However, it does really slow me down.

Punk

Staff member
I shoot in jpeg and at 8MP (my max). Honestly, I'd rather spend time shooting pictures than editing them--the only time I shoot in RAW (and then I shoot RAW + JPG) is when I am in a situation that I really need to get a shot.

If I had Photoshop, I might shoot in RAW more. However, it does really slow me down.

UFRaw works with Gimp:

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/