What Mobo should i get?

Watzzupp

ive had this crappy dell 4500 for 3 yearz and i think i might hav overdone the upgrades for it.
Its a P4 2.0 Ghz (AGP 4X Only)
128mb Powercolour Radeon 9800Pro
512mb ram
40gb 7200 rpm
120gb 7200 rpm
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Pioneer 107-D
Samsung Combo CDRW & DVD ROM
WinXP Pro

All my gamez are starting to get choppy and i think its because of the stupid Mobo.
It wont let me overclock in fact its underclocked at 1993Mhz
So anyway i want 2 no wat mobo i should get that can take a P4 2.0ghz
processor
And also wat kind of case i need (since no moboz wll fit in the case)

Plz hpl
Thankx ,Watzzupp

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well i'd wait and upgrade both the CPU and MOBO at the same time. The NorthwoodA is quite antiquated. I'd upgrade to the P4C using a i865PE :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In that case I would wait because, upgrading a Socket423 mobo is quite pointless since Intel has dropped the Socket423 specification in favor of the Socket478 for the last three generations of chips (NorthwoodB, NorthwoodC and Prescott). If you dont have much money to spend, either get some RAM or hold out until you can upgrade both the CPU and the mobo

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm it might be, might not be: have a look at CPUz (http://www.cpuid.com) and look under the Codename box on the main tab. If it's a NorthwoodA than you have a Socket423. If its a NorthwoodB then its Socket478 (at which point you can benifit from a mobo upgrade)

Watzzupp

oh yeh and which would u pic out of these mobo brands

-Gigabyte
-MSI
-ASUS
And if im going to OC my cpu wat kind of power would i be looking 4 in a case

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You have a NorthwoodA (400Mhz FSB)
As for brands, ASUS or ABIT and for power at least 400W from a good company.

tristan

I just built 2 extremely awesome systems for under 500$ each. If you dont have much to spend but want a nice computer go with an AMD. Get like a 3000+ (333fsb) 125$, and a NF7-S v2 85$. And the case really isnt a big deal, www.newegg.com has some cheap cases but dont rely on their power supplies. NF7's need quite a bit of juice so an off brand that says 400+watts might be sufficent.

I use newegg for everything, great prices, and unreal shipping.

tristan

Yes, PSU's are cheap these days. Just because they say "400w" doesnt mean jack. If it is less than 4-5 lbs and you feel like you can throw it far. You might as well. The more it weighs the better. Example: A Antec 350w will out-perform a raidmax 420w with ease.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, PSU's are cheap these days. Just because they say "400w" doesnt mean jack.
LOL okay i just never heard "unbranded/stock" PSUs called "off-brand" before lol

Watzzupp

kool , thankx guys ill keep u posted on my progress. i decided that ill wait till i get mor money to get a 2.8 ghz or 3.0 ghz with an asus board and a 400wat case

Watzzupp

1 mor thing should i get an amd or intel cpu

my friend has a overall shitty computer but it out performs my 2.0ghz
wit his 1800

4W4K3

VIP Member
i would go with AMD if you dont have alot of cash to throw into you computer. they tend to be best bang for your buck, especially if you go with a mobile chip (which i suggest you do) unless you want a 64bit system. but i doubt you could fully use a 64bit chip if all u need is a fast pc.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Also depends on how long you want to keep the system the way it is; P4Cs will last much longer than XPs :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Also depends on how long you want to keep the system the way it is; P4Cs will last much longer than XPs :)

how much longer? i've never had an XP chip longer than 8 months i believe, but i never had one die or anything...just upgraded. i know my dads p3's have lasted 5+yrs...how long is the life span of a non-overclocked XP??? google here i come lol.