What Os can I weasle onto this POS?

Quiltface

ddr and sd are different things ddr stands for double date rate.... sdr is single ... SD RAM is synchronous dynamic randam access memory... when people refer to SDRAM they are referring to SDR SD RAM and not DDR SD RAM... its confusing i know, and thats because its wrong but hey we are creatures of habit and assumptions.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Alright I figured out I need pc-133 sdram. Thanks for the clarification! Looks like I can pick up a 512 stick on newegg for $30 or so.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Actually its a John Wayne Gacy picture, but Acid Bath used it on 'When The Kite String Pops' which is a freaking unreal album :D good call, I was hoping eventually someone would recognize it!

massahwahl

VIP Member
So I'm browsing around and I see that this pc has a socket 370 board. In theory that means that I could upgrade it to pentium 3 1.4Ghz I just found on ebay for $6.00? That and the memory and maybe an cheap low profile agp card? That would make this thing useable for under $40 hopefully. Ill probably end up donating it but don't want to donate a hunk of junk.

Quiltface

find the model of the mobo and look for the manual or support docs... make sure that cpu will work even though it fits doesnt always mean its going to be supported... that or you might need a bios upgrade.

good luck

tremmor

Ya might want to consider and think you will find used mem for an older computer. Just about any local computer store should carry it cheap.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ya might want to consider and think you will find used mem for an older computer. Just about any local computer store should carry it cheap.

lol I took your advice and called the two local shops around here...

1st wanted $20 a stick for 128Mb
The second wanted $15 for 256Mb :p

Either way, Ebay has them for about $6 so im going to go that route eventually.

massahwahl

VIP Member
XP installed fine and runs a little faster than 2000 did, still some hiccups with online video although i guess i cant complain really. Im going to drop some more ram in this thing in the days to come and see if that serves my purpose or not.

Mitch?

banned
XP installed fine and runs a little faster than 2000 did, still some hiccups with online video although i guess i cant complain really. Im going to drop some more ram in this thing in the days to come and see if that serves my purpose or not.

I'd definitely check out video drivers. I got some POS Compaq with a 1.1ghz celeron, a few megs of video ram, and 128mb pc133. i put another 128mb in it and clean installed xp and it ran great, but some video still lagged a bit. for some reason older drivers were just shit for flash. if you want i have some 128mb sticks lying around, i'm sure shipping would be nothing too. if your motherboard supports it, i don't think going over 512mb would see any improvement.
alot of those boards will all you to toss a 1.4ghz pIII in them, which are surprisingly decent, but alot will only allow up to like 1.1ghz or 900mhz etc.