Votes: 5 4.6%
  • FreeBSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux/GNU source

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

PC eye

banned
You will first need to dhrink the XP primary enough for the root and maybe a swap partition for ubuntu. Here I had Mandriva with XP Pro until Vista came along. Get familiar with GParted live fo cd. You will need it there.

Irishwhistle

I run Windows 2000. But it doesn't look like 2000. I looks more like Mac.
MacDesk.jpg

PC eye

banned
I got so annoyed with vista i bought another copy of XP just after Vista was released right now vista is nothing but trouble but im sure xp probably was the same when it came out.

Vista isn't actually that bad once the beta drivers were finally replaced with some full version sets. XP also saw it's own share of headaches the same way every other version has. The wait for drivers, software patches if any, and updates from Microft are the key elements.

Yet Vista despite not being able to run some applications and some games is otherwise running good here. Too many people jumped to conclusions when games didn't work too well when running the first beta versions. Those were "for evaluation only". Yet many expected the "usual". That's what they complained about.

PC eye

banned
The main problem seen with Vista here was expected since it was just released as the new version of Windows with different editions offering a select amount of features included. Most of the other complaints heard are from those who tried gaming with the beta versions and couldn't understand that "beta" is actually far different from a finished product. But even XP and all other older versions had their own share of initial problems.

tlarkin

VIP Member
vista sucks, don't even get me started pointing out all of its problems and inferiorities for an OS that has been in development for over 5 years. Plus its inconsistencies, compatibility issues, stability issues, and driver support. plus, MS still codes their OS poorly.

The Poll should be changed to select multiple choices. I run Linux\OS X completely at work, and I do run 1 windows machine at home so I can play video games. However, at home I have three macs, 1 linux laptop 1 linux desktop and my windows xp box.

PabloTeK

My main desktop runs XP Pro, my laptop utilises XP Home and my PC at my grandparents runs Ubuntu, soon to be Xubuntu.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been using Ubuntu more recently in Vmware for just normal internet surfing & basic stuff like that.

i prefer Suse,But i cant be bothred downloading it because its too big:cool:

But Xp is my main os still.

PC eye

banned
When you look at the percentage margin seen for the various different versions of Windows as well as other OSs what do you see? XP will continue to take the lead regardless of how popular Linux has become since that is still a low percentage mark. Why is that? XP has been out for 5-6yrs. with the large amount of security fixes, two large service packs, and other fixes available as seen in driver and bios updates for hardwares.

Vista is still the new OS with the usual need for some of updates and fixes to eventually come out. And like every new version some softwares are not going to run. You are simply stuck going for a newer version. For the most part XP was the bridge between Fat and NTFS. No more dos while having Fat16+32 support.

Linux is still based on the UNIX platform while still remaining an open source OS just Solaris and others. But only in the last year or so are you now seeing support sites regularly carrying Linux as well as MS/Mac type updates. The one thing where Linux is still ahead of MS on is effecient hardware detection. This is where MS is finally seeing the options to resize and reformat partitions as well as create or delete them with the new Vista installer. Gee? Even with Vista GParted seems to still have a place here! :D

[-GEO-]

banned
Well windows is more user-friendly and that is what the consumer wants. They don't want to use command prompts and commands to install programs.

What are you talking about? Have you ever used linux before? I can install programs just fine without using the terminal. Just double click the downloaded file and there you go.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I voted finally, I mostly find myself using OS X these days, but with a strong Linux as second. Mainly the red hat based distros I use, and sometimes debian.

I really am not into gaming that much as I used to be, too many young kids kind of make it lame or maybe I am just getting old.

Vista still sucks

lee101

VIP Member
I'm not really sure where to vote, i use Vista on my main desktop, but it dual boots into ubuntu, I've got my server running Ubuntu Server, and then laptop running XP, along with loads of Virtual Machines in VMWare Server

Balask

Me I used Windows Vista 64x for my new computer and Windows XP Media Center for my laptop (mostly because I can't seem to get it to upgrade even though its got a "Windows Vista Capable" sticker) Windows Vista has been good to me, 64x not so much. Especially when I tried to install a anti-virus and firewall.

i have vista and i can say that i have not had any bugs with it if anything i would recomend it over xp theres more possibilites you just have to find them the only thing that i would say is it is hard to find programs that r vista compatable with out switching the program to run in xp compatible mode and turning off the user account control > the r u sure you want to do that> r u absolutely sure you want to do that really?/. its ok but it takes getting used to thats all. its the same as when everyone went to xp

wixostrix

I fully running vista ultimate as my primary OS. its not bad, i had problems in the begining but since ATI released new drivers i've been running in nearly perfectly. i actually like it better than xp MEC, in fact im not even running xp or have the intentions on going back. all frequently used programs work and i love the interface and features. the only true problem i have is my 5.1 surround sound with no CMSS support so all the speakers are at the same volume but thats a creative issue