What OS should I go with?

ErrorZone

I finally have set aside all my problems with my new build. And now I am into the Operating System battle with myself of which one to go with. I was running Vista 32-bit, which I didn't mind, but hated at the same time. I know Windows 7 is coming out, but one I don't have the time to wait for that and two don't think I am ready to buy it when it first launches. I was thinking of going 64-bit with my new build, but don't think I want to spend that kind of money yet. A penny for anyone's thoughts on what I should do.

NaughtyMonkey

Well showing us the specs of the computer your going to build would be helpful. I would only recommend a 64-bit os if your going to use over 3GB of ram.

Irishwhistle

Stick with 32-Bit Vista unless you want to switch to either XP or Linux.

Since you only have 2GBs RAM 64-Bit won't make much of a difference for you.

forumuser

Dont stick with vista no matter what. It has compatibility problems and slows down the computer, go with win xp.

EGS

banned
Well, if I were you, I would go with an open source 64-bit OS while you wait for WIndows 7...maybe Ubuntu? :)

If you can't do that because of drivers or something, why not try Mac OS X Leopard? I don't know if they have a 64-bit version though.

mac550

Dont stick with vista no matter what. It has compatibility problems and slows down the computer, go with win xp.

there is nothing wrong with vista since sp1 was released, and there isn't that many compatibility issues it as long as you know how to get around them.

if you cpu is a 64 bit then i dont seen the point in using a 32 bit os (just not xp 64) if you have the vista 32 disk then use it but other wise get vista home premium 64.

Irishwhistle

Well, if I were you, I would go with an open source 64-bit OS while you wait for WIndows 7...maybe Ubuntu? :)

If you can't do that because of drivers or something, why not try Mac OS X Leopard? I don't know if they have a 64-bit version though.

I'm on Ubuntu now... very good OS, and I'd highly recommend it.

Why not OS X? There's no legal PC version.

Nightrain

After all this time people still propagate poor/(mis) information about Vista...

Go with whatever OS you are most comfortable using, and that which satisfies your needs and requirements first. Without specs its hard to just flat out recommend Vista, but I have had less issues on Vista than on XP. And XP ran like a beast too, so neither option is bad.

Irishwhistle

olzenkhaw

I will prefer WINXP as winxp still have the most users and when problem come out, I can still find people to solve my problem.

ErrorZone

Irishwhistle thanks for posting my system specs. I must have forgotten to set up my post to notify me when someone post a reply. As far as everything else goes I want to leave my options open to eventually bring my RAM up to 4-8 gigs, and I want to be able to upgrade my processor to possible the Phenom 2 depending on how well it seems to do over the next 6 months to a year. I've never used Ubuntu, though I have seen that many people seem to use it. My only problems with that is how it would run my games and my other programs. So unless I would be able to boot up with Ubuntu, and the run my programs and games off of my other hard drive I don't think that would be my best option. I don't mind Vista 32-bit, but like I said, I would like to bring my RAM over 3 gigs, even though I was reading somewhere that Vista has the ability to go over 3 gigs somehow, and run a better processor without it having a bunch of its capabilites go to waist. So maybe I'll go with Ubuntu right now because it's free, and I would like to get my computer back up and going for now, and I will just wait it out and see that as we get closer to Windows 7 launching if the other OS's will come down in price.

Irishwhistle

Irishwhistle thanks for posting my system specs. I must have forgotten to set up my post to notify me when someone post a reply. As far as everything else goes I want to leave my options open to eventually bring my RAM up to 4-8 gigs, and I want to be able to upgrade my processor to possible the Phenom 2 depending on how well it seems to do over the next 6 months to a year. I've never used Ubuntu, though I have seen that many people seem to use it. My only problems with that is how it would run my games and my other programs. So unless I would be able to boot up with Ubuntu, and the run my programs and games off of my other hard drive I don't think that would be my best option. I don't mind Vista 32-bit, but like I said, I would like to bring my RAM over 3 gigs, even though I was reading somewhere that Vista has the ability to go over 3 gigs somehow, and run a better processor without it having a bunch of its capabilites go to waist. So maybe I'll go with Ubuntu right now because it's free, and I would like to get my computer back up and going for now, and I will just wait it out and see that as we get closer to Windows 7 launching if the other OS's will come down in price.

Well, if you already have Vista 32-Bit go for it. The RAM can probably wait till Windows 7 can't it? 'Cause that'd be the best way to do it.

ErrorZone

Well, if you already have Vista 32-Bit go for it. The RAM can probably wait till Windows 7 can't it? 'Cause that'd be the best way to do it.

The only problem with this is my Vista 32-Bit that I have came on a HP computer that I bought and then I built my new PC with another HDD and am keeping the one that came out of the HP until I can recover everything off of it. But I am going to have to buy a new OS and don't want to spend too much money now, but don't want to get hosed out of alot of money in the long run.

3uL

Depending on your usage.. I recommend Vista if you are hardcore gamers since only vista have directX10