What processor can be used instead of an intel pentium 4

xLoGit3k

I have an old dell dimension with an intel pentium 4 processor with a clock speed of 2.8. This computer seems to be very slow even after defragmenting the hard drive and doing a ton of other stuff to it. What processor could I get that would work in place of this for under 100 bucks if any?

AD7863

You should increase your budget a little and if it will work with your computer, try upgrading to an core 2 duo or a quad core for high performance.

bkribbs

You should look into your RAM, HDD space, and possible reinstalling the OS. I have a 2.26 cpu, and my computer flies.

xLoGit3k

You should look into your RAM, HDD space, and possible reinstalling the OS. I have a 2.26 cpu, and my computer flies.

Well i have just cleaned it and run a ton of virus scans and cleaners to get rid of all the temp files and other unnecessary shit and it did help some but still not what i want. Its the main computer in the house. I have my own laptop and my parents have their own computer in their room and my mom has a macbook but this is the computer that gets used the most and therefore would be helpful if it was faster. Okay i will expand my budget to 150, is there any processor for around this price that would be compatible with my computer?

Deviousmind

Changing the cpu does not guarentee increased performance automatically, if you have done the following and the pc is still slow then you may have some malware on your pc,
Removed all unnecessary programs from "Add or Remove programs,
Removed all unused files from your system, using CCleaner,
Defrag the registry using Auslogics Registry Defrag, http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-defrag/
Detect and repair disk errrors, Use CHKDSK which is best to run in SAFE MODE,
Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files, read here http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-24.html
Manage autostart items you san use Ccleaner for this it has a start up manager under "TOOLS"/"START UP" but be careful as there is no backup or use "winspeedup"
Disabled unnecessary Services to free System Resources
good luck

Remeniz

I reckon the OP is running the old Socket 478 Prescott (pre 2001).

The best you could go for is the 3.4Ghz Prescott P4 or the 3.4Ghz Gallatin P4 EE. Both of these are well out of production and will only be available on the 2nd hand market.

I reckon a fresh OS install and streamline would speed things up a lot. A new CPU, for that board, might not make any difference at all.

spynoodle

I can guarantee out of my own experience that a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 will not make a computer noticeably slow. In gaming, yes. In basic tasks, no. I have used a Pentium 4 520 before and know for a fact that as long as your computer is clean, it should run pretty nicely. One other thing I recommend is hitting <Windows Key>+R and typing "Msconfig." Then go to the startup tab and search all your different startup programs on google. If any of them are unneeded, then uncheck them. Sometimes it will display some error about administrative privileges, but in my experience it makes no difference. Also, one thing that used to slow down an old Pentium 4 Dell I had was its RAM. Do you only have 256mb?

Also, @ one of the previous posters, a 2.26GHz Pentium M is faster than a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. The Pentium 4 is a Netburst processor, which has a long instruction pipeline, therefore reducing how much it can process per GHz. The Pentium M is a P6 processor, which has a much smaller pipeline, therefore allowing it to be much faster per GHz.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the OP,

Download and run Speccy and tell us the model of your mobo,That will tell us what Skt it is and what upgrade options are available to you!

Hsv_Man

i had and still have a P4 socket 478 out of an olde dimension 3000 back in 06 and it was a flyer. It has been through alot, I built my first custom machine in 07 using the p4 2.8 ghz and now my second custom in 10 (obvs not using the 478). This processor is my favourite processor for its time yes it is getting a bit old now but it was one mighty processor with true processing power no lagg just a true proper tough processor from intel. My guess is more ram as dell always seem to put the bare minimum ram in to sell their machines unless you directly asked them for an upgrade.