What should I do with this HD?

dirtbikeryzz

I'm selling my hard drive to someone, but I'm not sure how to give it to him. I could just uninstall my stuff I've only had it for 2 weeks not much on it. Or I think i could format it, but how does my OS get off of it because i think its gonna ask for a OS cd key and what not.

MacBook

banned
Is it currently your primary hard drive, or do you have another hard drive since your selling this one? If it's not the primary drive just format it.

dirtbikeryzz

Is it currently your primary hard drive, or do you have another hard drive since your selling this one? If it's not the primary drive just format it.

It's my primary hard drive, im buying a smaller faster one in its place. Last time i did the reformat it gave me a new windows but it had my OS, how do i make sure my OS isn't on it.

memory

You could just format it with gparted live. And it should not ask you for a cd key when you format it.

Twist86

You could always format with Windows and when it gets to drive options select "format" then turn the PC off.
You can also install the new HDD and install the one your selling as a "slave drive" and format it via My Computer. Just right-click it and select "format"
Obviously don't format C drive aka your primary :p I dunno if it would let you do it but I never clicked it to find out LOL.

lubo4444

You could always format with Windows and when it gets to drive options select "format" then turn the PC off.
You can also install the new HDD and install the one your selling as a "slave drive" and format it via My Computer. Just right-click it and select "format"
Obviously don't format C drive aka your primary :p I dunno if it would let you do it but I never clicked it to find out LOL.

+1. Friend of mine did that and it worked perfect. I woudnt bother to use other formatting utilities. Just you the Windows one.

allmondjoy87

windows has become self aware! when you right click->format on the primary it gives you an error saying there's too much important stuff on it