What should i look at when changing power supply?

B-MAN

Hi ehm... my pc wont start and im pretty shure it's the power supply and no other componements. Though it could also be the motherboard.

I want to change the power supply just to check if that's it but i dont have a power supply withe the same voltages and amperes on it.

Does really matter or do i have to buy one exactly like my old one? :confused:

smitherz

well it all depends on the spec of your comp. if your planning on getting an updated graphics card thats good then it would be sensible to get a higher wattage power supply. if you are not changing anything then get one that is approximately the same.

smitherz

smitherz

before you buy a new PSU test your old one with a multi-metre and take the readings. that way you will found out if you have a dead motherboard.

try this site it may help
http://www.casemodgod.com/multi-meter_(2).htm

smitherz

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Its not just the wattage that matters; having solid rails is also quite an important definign condition for PSUs :)

B-MAN

well i just borowed a PSU from someone and it works now... but i'll have to buy a new one then... coz i can't keep this one duh...

What are those solid rail thingies?

i guess i'll have to buy a cheap one any way... coz i don't have any money :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Solid rail = the PSU delivers the voltages it says it will for the given rails :) (i.e., the -12V rail delivers -12V +/- 5% or something like that)

B-MAN

wich one would you recommend then??? 300 Watt doesn't need to be really silent... but not too noisy please..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
PSUs arent generally noisy to start with (otherwise id have the loudest PSU possible). A Vantec Stealth 420 is a nice PSU (ive got a pair) and its quiet too

B-MAN

it seems that they do not sell much vantec in holland... lol but i do see a NoName 300Watt for €13,- :p

I really don't have much money.... But i guess i'd be raping my machine with such cheap PSU's :(

My old one is from the brand "Deer" dunno about their quality but it doesn't have to last forever...

superflysmith

You can't go wrong with the Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe for a measily $239.00. lol. I don't know what you're running in your computer but I would not suggest buying a generic PSU. I had a generic 420watt in my computer that lasted about 10 minutes in the bios before it blew up and scared the crap out of me. I now have the Vantec Stealth 420 which works great. You can get it for $74.99 at zipzoomfly.com. Free shipping in the states but since your in Holland who knows how much it'll cost you.