What should I try next to fix my computer?

I was using my computer and it suddenly shut off and died. I tried to restart it but it won't restart. When i unplug the power and plug it back in and try to turn on the fan starts for a split second and the rgb lights on the fans flash and then its dead again. The power light on the mother board is on. I disconnected the psu and all the cables and re-connected them to make sure they were seated properly. I used a paper clip and tested the PSU cable which showed the power supply was working, I also removed and individually tested the ram. I am getting a power cord tomorrow to see. I'm hoping its not the motherboard but trying to see if there is anything else I should be trying? The mother board is a Sabertooth X79. Not sure if I should replace the thermal paste?

I'm not sure of all the specs as i bought it second hand
CPU: I don't remember the CPU
CPU cooler: cooler master
Motherboard: Sabertooth x79
Ram: Corsair 16 gig vengeance
SSD/HDD: SSD
GPU: GTX 1650
PSU: HX620W
Chassis: Gamemax
Monitor: AOC and Acer

This is what it looks like when i unplug and then plug back in and hit the power button.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's not gonna be the power cord, you are obviously getting power, you have a hardware issue going on.

Abruptly shutting off may mean overheating or possibly motherboard damage. Check all capacitors to make sure there none are buldging Do you have a system speaker attached to motherboard in case there is bios beeps happening? You can try putting ram in the opposite slots or trying only 1 stick at a time. Disconnect anything not needed to boot. Disconnect mouse and keyboard, hdd/sdd, all usb cables, remove any addin cards. I've seen a bad keyboard stop a pc from booting up. Even though the psu turns on it still may be the culprit. Do you know how to diagnose? Do you have access to more parts like another video card? You may have to take it in to a shop.

beers

Staff member
Swapping parts is likely the play. If you had a spare PSU to use then you could isolate between that and the motherboard.

Keep in mind that platform is over a decade old. Also from your image the cooler doesn't seem to be fully mounted.