What speed does YOUR RAM run at?

What speed does YOUR RAM run at? (with out Over clocking)

• 200MHz

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 333MHz

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • 400MHz

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • 533MHz

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 800Mhz

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 1000MHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000+ MHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

ADE

banned
OK, your right, PC 800 isn't 800MHz, but PC 6400 does, and I don't care about the kind, just the speed. If you have a stick or RAM that runs a 200MHz and is DDR (double data rate) then it has its stock speed dubbeld to make it run at a speed of 400 MHz over all. You guys are taking this in the wrong direction. I just want to know the speed of the ram, not like pc 133 or stuff like that. that's just a name for it, like PC2700 is 333MHz, I want the speed, not the name. So when you have DDR and its 400MHz, it 400Mhz, not 200Mhz because its dubbeld to give itself a total output of 400MHz. If it were 200MHz then it would be SDR because it does not have a dubbeld speed. you guys are taking it as the origin speed, I was talking about over all speed. To me this thread is not a loss at all! Its an attempt to gain knowledge to see where I stand in the world of computers, not to tick off people.

Bobo

banned
OK, your right, PC 800 isn't 800MHz, but PC 6400 does, and I don't care about the kind, just the speed. If you have a stick or RAM that runs a 200MHz and is DDR (double data rate) then it has its stock speed dubbeld to make it run at a speed of 400 MHz over all. You guys are taking this in the wrong direction. I just want to know the speed of the ram, not like pc 133 or stuff like that. that's just a name for it, like PC2700 is 333MHz, I want the speed, not the name. So when you have DDR and its 400MHz, it 400Mhz, not 200Mhz because its dubbeld to give itself a total output of 400MHz. If it were 200MHz then it would be SDR because it does not have a dubbeld speed. you guys are taking it as the origin speed, I was talking about over all speed. To me this thread is not a loss at all! Its an attempt to gain knowledge to see where I stand in the world of computers, not to tick off people.
No, you are totally wrong, right here:
So when you have DDR and its 400MHz, it 400Mhz, not 200Mhz because its dubbeld to give itself a total output of 400MHz. If it were 200MHz then it would be SDR because it does not have a dubbeld speed.
The speed is not doubled, it is exactly the same. The data output is doubled, because it is transferring twice per cycle. But the speed stays the same.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy

NO see, that's what manufacturers want you to believe, it's probably just a marketing thing. That's why on some video cards, you see 1GZ (effective) memory speed, while on my ATI card box, they said it correctly running at 500mhz.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The speed is not doubled. DDR transfers data on the high and low of the signal. It is the same idea with Intel's FSB, it is not 533/800/1066 it transfers on the high, low and 0 on the signal so the FSB is 133/200/266

fade2green514

haha default mine runs at ddr433. corsair xms allows for overclocking to ddr438 2-3-2-6 stable. i overclocked to ddr530 3-3-2-5 though.

you forgot ddr433.

Geoff

VIP Member
Bobo is absolutely correct. There shouldnt be anyone here that has memory running higher then 400Mhz, with the exception of a few. My memory is only running at 190Mhz, so I had to choice 200, since its close.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You forgot the old SD-RAM speeds. I know one person here who has a computer with PC133 ram, still :p And my grandparent's computer has PC66 RAM in it!

fade2green514

[-0MEGA-];433573 said:
Bobo is absolutely correct. There shouldnt be anyone here that has memory running higher then 400Mhz, with the exception of a few. My memory is only running at 190Mhz, so I had to choice 200, since its close.

yes, this is true... but effectively ddr and ddr2 memory would give 2 times the performance of its actual clocks... so we all get what he means. no need to nitpick lol.
You forgot the old SD-RAM speeds. I know one person here who has a computer with PC133 ram, still :p And my grandparent's computer has PC66 RAM in it!

haha i have two sticks of 64mb pc100 and pc133 sitting in my drawer from an old p3 (900mhz or so?) and an old celery 666mhz rig someone gave me... none of the hardware worked though so i figure if i come in contact with any older hardware i could add 64mb, not like it would help a ton or anything...

Last edited:

ADE

banned
Ok!ok! So I Made A Mistake!! We All Know What I Mean By The Speeds Regardless Of What The In Depth Truth Is! It Was Just A Simple Question! I Have A Lot To Learn, I Know! But Thats Why I Come Here!

fade2green514

i think a more accurate list would say ddr400 instead of 400mhz and so on... including ddr2 800 because ddr2 speeds are considered different as well... but, we got what you meant.

fade2green514

lol thats ridiculous.. i think it does deserve its own thread though. no hijacking here.
memory speed matters some, but i dont know a single knowledgable person who would pay that much for memory. haha
at least it'll run cool since no motherboard supports that w/out overclocking haha...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227159
ocz comes pretty close, but the corsair has a better cooler and also has better timings, and probably better voltage too... still... haha
i always liked geil memory lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144032
nice stuff, high frequency, low timings for ddr2... lol

Last edited:

Impr3ssiv3

PSSH

CORSAIR OWNS ALL

i knew i was tempted to go OCZ and i was right, since my mobo didnt spport it. so i had to refund the OCZ and get some nice CORSAIR from a different website. its at 5-5-5-12 1.9v now and i might overclock it to ddr1066 if i can

know of any RAM overclocking programs that are used within windows

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Kingston PC3200 in my main machine. It's not super high performace, just something that worked well and I knew was compatable with the board :p

bball4life

I put 400MHz for my ddr400, which actually runs at 230, stupid ASUS and its vdimm limit of 3. Its OCZ gold 2-2-2-5, winbound UTT BH-5, if only I had some TCCD.:rolleyes:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You know those ultra high speed modules require at least 2.4V to run that fast. Generally you can get slower RAM to run at similar speeds with that much voltage, some newer motherboards wont let you run that much voltage through your RAM. At stock voltage you are probably lucky to get PC6400 out of it.