what surround system to use?

Hadesdude

Hi,

I'm looking for a new surround system, not a home cinema (preferably 5.1, since 7.1 means hanging up speakers. I'm not going below that either.)

This is the reason: I now have the Creative Z506, and I use it for my computer (see specs below) and synthesizer: a Korg Krome 88 keys.
I also have a headset from Sennheiser, don't know which one exactly but it's worth 50€ anyway.

Now the clue: I find that the sound of the synthesizer is far more beautiful and caressing on the headset than the Creative surround system.
But since I don't always want to play for myself, I need a better surround system to at least match the quality.

My budget (not a max, just an approx.) is about 250€.
Of course it should still be possible to connect pc and synth simultaneously and actually have a gain in quality compared to Z506, so that's part of the thinking... like the cable type I guess.

Any help? :/

G80FTW

Hi,

I'm looking for a new surround system, not a home cinema (preferably 5.1, since 7.1 means hanging up speakers. I'm not going below that either.)

This is the reason: I now have the Creative Z506, and I use it for my computer (see specs below) and synthesizer: a Korg Krome 88 keys.
I also have a headset from Sennheiser, don't know which one exactly but it's worth 50€ anyway.

Now the clue: I find that the sound of the synthesizer is far more beautiful and caressing on the headset than the Creative surround system.
But since I don't always want to play for myself, I need a better surround system to at least match the quality.

My budget (not a max, just an approx.) is about 250€.
Of course it should still be possible to connect pc and synth simultaneously and actually have a gain in quality compared to Z506, so that's part of the thinking... like the cable type I guess.

Any help? :/

You sure you dont have the Logitech Z506?

Logitech makes some of the better (if not best) PC speakers, so you probably wouldnt hear much of quality difference upon replacing them.

Your best bet would be to invest in some studio speakers you can find at music stores.

Also, headphones generally always sound better in terms of quality than actual speakers so your never going to match that quality since the acoustic environment is completely different for both.

Surround sound just isnt ideal for music production anyway.

Jamebonds1

You sure you dont have the Logitech Z506?

Logitech makes some of the better (if not best) PC speakers, so you probably wouldnt hear much of quality difference upon replacing them.

Your best bet would be to invest in some studio speakers you can find at music stores.

Also, headphones generally always sound better in terms of quality than actual speakers so your never going to match that quality since the acoustic environment is completely different for both.

Surround sound just isnt ideal for music production anyway.

You might be right but to get surround speaker at same THD as 1300 dollar headphone, amplifier would be 3000 dollar and speaker would be about 1000 to 2000 dollar. I'm tell it is not worty for 250 pound. I have Beyerdynamic dt 770 and you're right that it sound better than most speaker due to lower THD. I have many reason why I have vintage amplifier. I would have recommend OP a vintage stereo from ebay. Mine is 1974 Pioneer SX-737. It sound really good and better than most newest amplifier cost 1000 dollar.

Yeah sorry, I mixed the trademarks...

So I'll start looking for seperate speakers then, thanks!

In my opinion, surround sound for 250 pound are not worth it. You might want to make budget for better one like probably 1000 to 2000 pound. So keep your headphone and speaker. Also newest Logitech speaker are not very good. I have it. So I'm going build my own amplifier with less than 0.04 % THD.

I would have recommend if you can live with stereo, 1974 pioneer SX-737. It is 300 dollar. That is 40 years old but still good speaker.

Last edited:

Hadesdude

Thanks,

hm, well 1000-2000 dollars/euros/pounds is a little much, and I wouldn't be contented with reverting to a stereo system (though it's true they can sound cool) so I think I'm going for a small seperate system.

A collegue told me Bose could be one of the best choices to make with its high dynamic range and long life. Of course I just need the speakers (I think) but maybe not. I'm gonna take a look soon :)

Hadesdude

The final decision went to a Studio Monitor, more precisely the RP5 G3 of KRK, I heard it and I'm very satisfied!

G80FTW

The final decision went to a Studio Monitor, more precisely the RP5 G3 of KRK, I heard it and I'm very satisfied!

Good call. Studio speakers, while generally more expensive than traditional stereo speaker setups will offer alot more in terms of sound quality as they are made specifically for precise audio reproduction to be used in music production. I have a couple of friends who are music producers, they all use studio speakers. But during the actual production of the music, they use studio headphones to get it just right. Theres alot of small things you cant hear well on speakers that you can with headphones.