What the Hell happened?

dahermit

My computer crashed in an unexplained manner. (I am using my wife's). It started with the apparent malfunction of a wired printer. They I began to get Blue Screens of Death. Then my wireless printer stopped working. More BSOD.

At that point I swapped out the hard drive for a backup clone I made three weeks ago. That seemed to fix things and I tried making a new clone from that H. D. just in case. Cloning attempts failed on two different spare H.D.s using to different systems... a dock, and an earlier USB wire system.. After several attempts, at cloning, Blue Screen of Death again (note that was on the clone I made three weeks ago. When I ran CHKDSK / R from an elevated command prompt, after running for hours a normal screen appeared and things seemed normal again... even the wireless printer was working gain.

However, when I woke it from sleep this AM, there was no screen at all and the hard drive was accelerating to the point where I though it was going to self-destruct and I powered off. Tried a couple of times to start it, no screen, H.D. runs away.

The only thing I can figure is that some time before making my clone three weeks ago, I picked-up a worm that sat dormant for a time and then began to mess with the print drivers, and other operational functions, and was cloned onto the H.D. that I used in an attempt to rescue my computer (Windows 10 pro. op system).

Can anyone shed any light on what happened to my computer? I really do not understand this at all.

Note: I have a new system ordered, will get here in 5-7 days.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lets find out what code is being thrown.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

dahermit

I cannot download anything... the computer is not booting. The screen is dead. The hard drive runs away (goes faster and faster). Nothing loads. I don't need to fix it, I assume it is trashed.

Addendum: I put an old hard drive (Windows 7) in the computer yesterday and the screen lit up but gave an error message. However, I found that the USB port that the mouse plugged into plus one other rear USB port are dead. That suggest to me that maybe one of the storm power outages we have had recently has damaged the computer and it may not have been maleware (Windows defender always on, ran Maleware Bytes...only "pups", nothing serious) after all, but physical electronic damage.

Anybody agree? Disagree?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
My computer crashed in an unexplained manner. It started with the apparent malfunction of a wired printer.
That suggest to me that maybe one of the storm power outages we have had recently has damaged the computer
I don't think the printer had anything to do with it, after effect. (You got another power supply)? People go on about power outages messing there computers up. A outage is nothing more then just unplugging your computer. When the power comes on, if you have a descent P/S is should just stay off till you hit the power switch. Now a power spike is completely different.

dahermit

I don't think the printer had anything to do with it, after effect. (You got another power supply)? People go on about power outages messing there computers up. A outage is nothing more then just unplugging your computer. When the power comes on, if you have a descent P/S is should just stay off till you hit the power switch. Now a power spike is completely different.
Power spikes have been know to happen when the power goes off.
Agree the printer had nothing to do with the computer failing... that was just the first symptom. Two USB ports failed a short time later, leading me to believe that the mother board was failing. As a side note, I saw a montor die due to a kid edging out the power cord slowly as a "joke", producing a spike (that was in a Middle school computer lab).