What the hell just happened?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
So, my dad opens the CD tray and -wham- pieces of a broken CD rain on the floor. The CD's literally exploded inside the drive. Now, the question is...
WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED? How can this happen? I've had this happen years before, a new DVD reader literally blew a CD into pieces (the drive was done for; we took it back for replacement). Just purely out of curiosity, though, what on earth can make something like this happen? Do they hide jackhammers or explosives inside them bloody drives or what? And is there a chance that the drive would still work, maybe after cleaning it out (the drive came with out now 2-n-half years old computer, don't even think about suggesting taking it back for refund :p it was a no-brand CD-RW anyway).

StrangleHold

Staff member
Could have been a number of things. CD could have had a bad place and just self destructed itself, got out of balance, drive could have spun up out of spec. and just slung the cd apart. But yes you can take the drive apart and clean it out, but as far as using it again thats up to you, if you think it was the drive went bad or the CD.

lovely?

if its just a cd drive then i would spend the money and upgrade to a dvd drive, they only cost about $25 as csmdew said.

i had that happen once too. the CD exploded and actually caused physical damage to parts inside the cd drive so i had to throw mine out. maybe you'll be luckier?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Actually I was watching Myth Busters the other day, and if the drive was spinning higher than spec it could make a CD explode ;)

mac550

well i never knew a cd could explode in a drive nor a disk in a hdd!!!
well you learn something new everyday.

jdbennet

happened to me. i was like wtf my drive ate my disk

i got it from using really cheapass cdrs in my burner

compt 134

What's the brand of CD-ROM that are you using and I wonder what was the brand of CD.
It is really hard to believe but sounds very dangerous.

muz

sounds like the sort of thing that happens when you buy cheap CD R's never had it happen to me , there might have been a weakness in the CD already to make this happen how fast where you burning this cd ?
considering how fast CD's go though i mean i read that a cd being read at 1X will spin at
250rpm when the laser is reading the outisde
and up to 500rpm when reading the inside
and thats only at 1X ,

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What's the brand of CD-ROM that are you using and I wonder what was the brand of CD.
It's a generic no-brand cheapo... I still haven't cleaned it out. Lazeee :p

Sounds like the sort of thing that happens when you buy cheap CD R's never had it happen to me , there might have been a weakness in the CD
It wasn't a CD-R, it was the installation disc for our broadband. Gotta do manual configuration if I need to reinstall :(
how fast where you burning this cd ?
I wan't burning a thing, no-one was... nobody even know when this happened. The CD tray just opened and teh drive spat out pieces. Sucks.