What the @~*%!!!!! is going on with my PC??????

Doire

Below is my original problem

Had a PC with Win 2000 on it. It kept rebooting.

Did a virus check, chkdsk, defrag etc....wasnt too bad...but still rebooted every once in a while.

Then i kept getting a Kernel missing error so i decided to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows 2000.

Now its telling me that it cant find certain files on the Windows 2000 disk...files like sonydam.sys...ntkrlnl.exe.......

i have tried 2 different Windows 2000 disks and each time im getting the repsonse that it cant find certain files (the files it cant find are different for each disk)...........

Now my probblem is............[/SIZE]

The PC boots up to the Windows 2000 screen

Then im getting a stop screen

It says

Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Check for new hardware/software and make sure its properly installed

If problem continues disable BIOS Memory options such as caching or shadowing

I have tried 3 differnet hard drives and i still get this screen!

:( anyone help me please!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
First off, plese don't resize the text off and on, espcially if you can't get it right ;P

If you've tried 3 HDs and still have the problem, it's probably something else. From the sound of it, I suspect RAM. Can you try some more? Possibly only use one stick(if you're running with 2)

Doire

First off, plese don't resize the text off and on, espcially if you can't get it right ;P

Please dont use smileys if you cant get them right, lol

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
Then im getting a stop screen
I assume you mean the blue screen of death, i agree with The_Other_One. Try difference ram sticks.

I have tried 3 differnet hard drives and i still get this screen!
Did you install win2000 from fresh on all those hdds using the smae win2k disk, and have you tried a fresh install from a different disk.

Doire

Did you install win2000 from fresh on all those hdds using the smae win2k disk, and have you tried a fresh install from a different disk.

No i have tried to use 2 different 2000 disks.

Im getting a message saying it cant copy certain files when im using either disks.

I have used one of the 2000 disks on another machine and was able to upgrade 98 to 2000 just a few hours ago. So it shouldnt be the disk thats causing the problem.

And its not the BSOD im getting, just a stop screen

Doire

Also i have tried to install NT on the HDD but it says it cant copy certian files.

I have also tried 2 different CD Drives and still the same problem.

Now when i try to boot up it says ntldr missing so im trying to install Win2000 again right now.

Doire

Cant copy the file stream.sys (think this is a video driver file)

or cant copy the file ntkrnlpa.exe

apj101

VIP Member
i though this was your origina problem, which of the two problems you described are you having. Have you installed 2k or not. Is your problem at install or is at boot

Doire

Right

First problem yesterday = PC kept rebooting on its own, so i tried to repair win2000. Didnt work. So i tired to format the HDD and reinstall win2000

Today = PC boots up only until the Win2000 screen shows, then i get a stop screen

Now= after trying 3 different HDD, 2 different CD ROMS, 2 win 2000 disks..and to insatll NT....the PC will boot so i can see that the RAM count and that the HDD and CD ROM and floppy are detected....

then i get ntldr missing

i now have new RAM in it........but the PC only boots up so much then i get the ntldr missing

Doire

Right now i have changed the RAM

I am booting from CD ROM with a Win2k disk in it.

I can get into windows 2000 setup and go to the option of installing win 2000

i delete the old partition and the PC starts to format........but then when it tries to copy files off the win2k disk it says it cant copy certain files ie...stream.sys and ntkrnlpa.exe...therefore setup of Win2k fails.

Doire

Do you have another cd drive and/or another win2k cd you can try?

I ahve tried 2 disks already. The second disk which im using now works fine because i upgraded a machine a few hours ago with it.

apj101

VIP Member
when you say you have used two cd, were they copies from the same source? or were they from alternative sources. According to you suggestion you have tried
2 different win2k disks
2 different cd drive
new ram.
there isnt much else to try.

Doire

It seems win2k is loading now!

It was the RAM after all! New RAM seems to have worked!

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r53s

It seems that you have a ntoskrnl.exe corrupted file (it is probably in C:Windows/system 32/...)...

You can copy it from the recovery console of your Operating system CD, or other source, but first clean your computer of viruses and spyware, to make sure it won't get corrupted again...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Doire said:
Please dont use smileys if you cant get them right, lol

Geeze...stupid edit and quote buttons are too close ^^;

Anyway ;P IS a Emoticon!
winkrazz.gif
And I'll shut up now seeing as this is basically finished