what the ...

clifrockh

Hello,

I have a problem. My compaq 5360 with win98se will not restore from the discs. I get a stack overflow message sometimes or it will simply stop and not go any further. I thought i could go into dos and change my stack setting but I am getting two messages-

"invalid media reading drive c" and "invalid command interpreter enter correct interpreter (eg.,C:\Command.com)" or something to that effect may not be exact. I have my old windows startup floppy that I made back in 1998, and a cdr backup that I made for some reason years ago as well. If I try to boot without any discs at all it says "missing operating system". Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Clif

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What hardware do you have? QUESTIONS 101.

"invalid media reading drive c" and "invalid command interpreter enter correct interpreter (eg.,C:\Command.com)" or something to that effect may not be exact.
Sounds like either the OS is shot (easy case) or your harddrive had a failure (not so easy)

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Well I think one option (This option is only valid if you allow to use the restore disk from a completly formated computer) Would be get boot disk (if you dont have one you can easily get one for free). Fdisk the partitions then recreate the partions. Then format the c:\. One warning this will cause you to loose all your data on the computer.

After you completly format the computer try using the restore disk and hopfully it will work.

I think the windows 98 boot disk should include fdisk and gain you access through dos to your c drive.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

DOS command needed (I doing this from memory so I not sure if I get this all right it been a good 6-7 years since my dos days.

boot from boot disk
first type fdisk
should be directions then
delete partions and recreate partions
then type format c:\
then try using you restore disk when this is done

clifrockh

my hardware

I have a 10 gig hard drive but not sure on brand, cd-r from ? with software from nti, PII 350 or 450 mhz ( not sure )amd kII proc,floppy, and factory cd drive. I can check the brands when I get home ( at work now). thanks for any replies.

Clif