What to go with this system?

Brewboy

Generally dual socket boards have always been seen for server not desktop builds over the years. I was hoping here to get into a single socket board for the new quad core line. The information on this type of board shows that many could be run with a single cpu while seeing full capability with both sockets put to use.

The bios on the board itself would have to allow this. The user manual can be reviewed at http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket%20F/L1N64-SLI%20WS/e3014_l1n64-sli_ws.pdf If you goof while ocing all you do is shut the system down and the bios resets itself automatically! That makes an interesting new feature seen there in the overview. When installing only one cpu always use the cpu socket #0 is mentioned there. section 2-6

You know far too much! Thank you again. Would it be more advantageous to wait for the quadcore line to release? It seems there's some latency issues that occur with running two sockets. But, on the Q6700 it seems the fact that all four cores share the same bus causes a bottleneck effect... though the Q6700 is not a true quad-core, but two dual cores side by side.

Really I want to multitask like crazy, MMOs, flash, photoshop, itunes, exc... What do you think the best chipset/CPU(s) combo is for that?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The quad cores are the newbie on the market whether AMD or Intel with the board designs also being new. When the first dual cores came out people saw performance losses at times where Microsoft provided a registry edit for those already intended for older twin single sore model boards seeing the same problems. This was applied to XP there.

While still running cards with ATI chips I usually go for the NVidia chipset on the board itself. The boards with the new AMD chipsets only seem to be found with 2 not 3 pci slots needed here. SIS and VIA chipsets are the most often complained about. For AMD NVidia works while those running Intel will go for that or a board with an Intel chipset. For Crossfire you would then go for an ATI chipset instead for two ATI cards there.